none
Disk 2 Disk to Tape Question - dpm2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I am planning to use a d2d2t solution, for tesing i have allocated a drive to dpm and added it as storage, how do i go about testing it with any tape product? the plan is to back up to disk and then from there backup to tape (ship offsite).

problem - windows cannot see the dpm disk ! as a volume, so how do you backup to tape in virtual or physical test environ,ment

and is something using any d2d backup solutions from hp or dell? enterprise level, i have 41 servers with 3tb of data.

thanks

techie

Monday, September 27, 2010 2:25 PM

Answers

• HI,

If you don't want to use DPM D-D-T solution and instead want to utilize a 3rd party backup product for offsite - Using 3rd party to backup a DPM server is basically the same as described here  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161620.aspx – except the DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 path is now C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\...

However, restores of proteted data will need to be performed to an alternate location (Not back to the DPM server) by the 3rd party application.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi

There's an application called FireStreamer that simulates tapes for DPM. You can use that or if you got a tape drive with ISCSI you can also use that.

I have an customer using MSA series from HP for the DPM diskpool and MSL tape libraries. On the primary site I have design a solution if four DPM servers, the primary DPM servers protects 10 TB of data each. HP works fine, tip, use SAS disks and RAID 5 with maximum of 5 disks in each logical drive.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, September 27, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Robert, sorry my question was a bit more technical i guess i wasnt able to explain properly.

What i would like to achieve in simple terms is d2d2t or d2d2cloud backups or can even consider secondary dpm server at another site.

1. We have a scalar library conected via fibre so i can fibre the server into this as well, but the problem....how do i tell the tapes what to backup because the netbackup agent needs to see the drive i guess and because its been allocated as a dpm storage poool it cannot see it... (most relevant to me)

2. can consider primary server being replicared to the cloud as well. what will be the process will i  have to stick to the likes of iron mountain? we are considering investing into a private cloud with another hosting (cloud) provider.

3. secondary DPM server on one of our other sites connected via WAN. so that even if this is on disk , this is offsite in case of a disaster on main site or the server packs up.

but even if you cannot answer 2. 3. (1st is the one i would like some advise on).......

cheers.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:12 AM
  • HI,

If you don't want to use DPM D-D-T solution and instead want to utilize a 3rd party backup product for offsite - Using 3rd party to backup a DPM server is basically the same as described here  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161620.aspx – except the DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 path is now C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\...

However, restores of proteted data will need to be performed to an alternate location (Not back to the DPM server) by the 3rd party application.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 9:10 PM