How to see free disk space in Explorer status bar? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
       I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on quad-core notebook with 8GB ram. Is there any to get the Explorer status bar to show the amount of free space on a drive when you click on a folder -- like the way things worked in XP?  It seems that I have navigate back to the Computer folder and click there to see free space. Even the new details pane doesn't show a drive's free space when you click on the drive.  This is NOT an improvement.

Jerry
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,
       I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on quad-core notebook with 8GB ram. Is there any to get the Explorer status bar to show the amount of free space on a drive when you click on a folder -- like the way things worked in XP?  It seems that I have navigate back to the Computer folder and click there to see free space. Even the new details pane doesn't show a drive's free space when you click on the drive.  This is NOT an improvement.

Jerry

Hi

Unfortunately, this is no longer possible in Windows 7. There were many reasons for this, such as the need for the system to constantly enumerate the free space each time a single folder was opened. The mantra when Windows 7 was in development was that 'milliseconds count' when considering performance.

If you feel that this is important to have available, you can submit your feedback using the following form.

Windows 7 feedback - Speak to us at Microsoft

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:59 AM

All replies

• Jerry,

If you are looking for free space on the drive, try the following:

1. Click the Start Orb.
    2. Point to Computer.
    3. The screen should show all of your drives with a "progress bar" and the amount free under it.
    4. Please note, to show the size of your drives you must be in the following "Views Options" : Details, Tiles, Content.
    5. You can find the View Options as a drop down arrow element two spaces over from the Help Question mark, when you navigate to the Computer screen.
    6. Please note: You must have the columns "Total Space" and "Free Space" shown. To do so, right click the columns (Name, Type, etc) and place a checkmark next to Total Space and Free Space. This should be enabled by default, which means a program may have disabled your ability to see these attributes under details.

Please see this image link for an example:

http://media.wiley.com/Lux/17/147817.image0.jpg

(sorry it's a little small)
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

Jerry

Hi

Unfortunately, this is no longer possible in Windows 7. There were many reasons for this, such as the need for the system to constantly enumerate the free space each time a single folder was opened. The mantra when Windows 7 was in development was that 'milliseconds count' when considering performance.

If you feel that this is important to have available, you can submit your feedback using the following form.

Windows 7 feedback - Speak to us at Microsoft

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:59 AM
  • This is another "Enhancement" to Windows Explorer that makes no sense.

Unless someone comes up with a registry change, free space, nor when you select multiple items, will you see the size of the selected items as you did in XP.

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Install ClassicShell!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:06 AM