Cloning a SCCM 2012 server? RRS feed

• Question

• We have 3 SCCM 2012 servers in production. I would like to build a replica lab of production with only 1 or 2 servrs in Test Environment. This test Environment is on Separate network than Production and has Replica Active Directory being migrated as well...

1) If i clone 1 Production server (Primary) into Test Environment with replica Production Active directory, Will it work? OR will it gives me errors since it will be unable to find the other 2 servers?

2) What is the best way to do this task?

Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:18 PM

Answers

• Agreed. It's nice in theory and at first is great because it mirrors the production environment exactly, but then as time goes on, it's no longer a mirror so you have to recreate it or gets broken and now you find yourself wasting time troubleshooting issues in the lab because you did weird to it or because nobody is maintaining it or truly cares about it. Its a huge time sink.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Marked as answer by R Andy Friday, July 24, 2015 12:10 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:37 PM
  • Do you seriously have a clone of you AD environment? This is generally a bad idea as your both forest can't be on the same network without issues.

1) it might but work but I would never recommend do this. I would create a new CM12 lab with a different site code. Yes you will get error abut the other servers being missing.

2) IMO the best way to handle this is to create a NEW forest with a NEW domain and NEW CM12 site server that looks like your production environment but is not a clone of it.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

• Marked as answer by R Andy Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:30 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:44 PM
  • As long as everything is isolated and the clone AD is a true clone of your production AD where the ConfigMgr site server is a member, then this will work without any true issues although you may have to account for any IP address changes (if there are any).

Isolation is the key here of course and is what fuels Garth's concerns. You will be asking for all kinds of pain if you can't guarantee that the two environments will never meet.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Isolation is key as they guys say. But you must also decide whether you are cloning or not. If you are cloning then you need all three ConfigMgr servers. If you are not cloning then you can build from scratch. You can't pick and choose what you want to clone.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:42 PM
  • That's quite messy. You won't be able to remove the other servers cleanly. I'd avoid that.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Unmarked as answer by R Andy Friday, July 24, 2015 12:10 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:33 PM

All replies

• Do you seriously have a clone of you AD environment? This is generally a bad idea as your both forest can't be on the same network without issues.

1) it might but work but I would never recommend do this. I would create a new CM12 lab with a different site code. Yes you will get error abut the other servers being missing.

2) IMO the best way to handle this is to create a NEW forest with a NEW domain and NEW CM12 site server that looks like your production environment but is not a clone of it.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:44 PM
  • The AD clone is running on an isolated network and Totally isolated to production network. This isolated network is a test environment only. If this is the case, You still recommend not to clone the SCCM server and bring it up and running in Test Isolated network with only 1 server as oppose to 3 servers in production?
  • As long as everything is isolated and the clone AD is a true clone of your production AD where the ConfigMgr site server is a member, then this will work without any true issues although you may have to account for any IP address changes (if there are any).

Isolation is the key here of course and is what fuels Garth's concerns. You will be asking for all kinds of pain if you can't guarantee that the two environments will never meet.

• Isolation is key as they guys say. But you must also decide whether you are cloning or not. If you are cloning then you need all three ConfigMgr servers. If you are not cloning then you can build from scratch. You can't pick and choose what you want to clone.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:42 PM
  • 1) its totally isolated environment.

The only issue left to answer is 'In production we have 3 servers and in Test Clone environment I am looking to install only 1 Primary server out of 3'. How can i resolve the issue when this 1 server in test environment comes online and look for the other 2 servers? 

Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:29 PM
  • That's quite messy. You won't be able to remove the other servers cleanly. I'd avoid that.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:33 PM
  • Having had client's that have been there done that. I would avoid this like the plague!

Why? Because it was way too much trouble to test anything in the isolated lab and therefore they also never tested anything in the lab as it too “wayyyyy tooooo loooonnnggg” to do anything. Just getting a file into the lab was a huge pain.

Ultimately they abandon that lab and created a real test lab, that didn’t have the complication that the clone lab had.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:26 PM
  • Agreed. It's nice in theory and at first is great because it mirrors the production environment exactly, but then as time goes on, it's no longer a mirror so you have to recreate it or gets broken and now you find yourself wasting time troubleshooting issues in the lab because you did weird to it or because nobody is maintaining it or truly cares about it. Its a huge time sink.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:37 PM