none
Internet Explorer 10 for Windows Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to install IE 9 or IE 10 on a Windows Server 2008 R2.  IE 9 or 10 is specified because of compatibility with some of our applications that have been developed in house.

An earlier post listed the link http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/A/C/8AC7C482-BC74-492E-B978-7ED04900CEDE/IE10-Windows6.1-x86-en-us.exe  as a source for the IE 10 download, but when I downloaded it and tried to install it, I got an error "Operating System is not supported".

I am hesitant to download it from one of the non-microsoft sites that offer it.

Is there a way to download and install IE 10 to Windows Server 2008 R2?

Thanks very much for your help.

• Edited by Logan Burt Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:48 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Burt,

server versions of IE run in Enhanced protected mode.... you should not use your company server to casually surf the web or to test intranet applications as the security configuration is incongruent to client versions of IE... use a windows client instead for testing. you should be able to run a WU for the server and update automatically to the latest version for your platform.

If using terminal server, alternatively, use x-ua server headers for IE=10 to force IE11 clients to use IE10 or lower emulation.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:25 AM

All replies

• Hello Logan,

Unfortunately, I did not find any download link of IE 9 or 10 from Microsoft's server. I think they are closing IE 10 or below versions for their OS.

However, I found an external link to download IE 10, if you want then visit:-

https://cyrusbesharat.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/download-ie-10-final-version-for-windows-server-2008-r2/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Hi Burt,

server versions of IE run in Enhanced protected mode.... you should not use your company server to casually surf the web or to test intranet applications as the security configuration is incongruent to client versions of IE... use a windows client instead for testing. you should be able to run a WU for the server and update automatically to the latest version for your platform.

If using terminal server, alternatively, use x-ua server headers for IE=10 to force IE11 clients to use IE10 or lower emulation.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:25 AM
  • Thank you both for your replies.

I'm a bit leery about downloading this from a non-Microsoft site, but thank you anyway for your answer.  The server in question will be accessing only our own in-house applications; it is running terminal services for clients to access these apps.

As it turns out, we will be able to use IE 11 soon after all, so I'll just wait for that.

Thank you.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:58 PM
  • IE10 for Windows Server 2008 R2 (direct download): http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/E/0/CE0AB8AE-E6B7-43F7-9290-F8EB0EA54FB5/IE10-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:53 PM
  • Is there a page somewhere on technet that lists any Internet Explorer Versions at all that would be supported on Windows Server 2008 R2?

I see a lots of lists out there for what is not supported, but it really isn't helpful when someone is looking for something that is supported.

pfcjt@hotmail.com

Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:34 PM