Help please: OCS Service Startup Error : [0xC3EC79E6] Front-End (RTCSRV) RRS feed

• Question

• EDIT:

After much research and testing, I realized the conflict was like this;

IF Exchange Unified Messaging Service is STARTED, OCS Front-End Service CANNOT be started.

I browsed a few sites and chanced upon something regarding;

"Port 5060 Conflict" or something. Is it safe to say that Exchange UM and OCS Front End uses the same port?

If so, what should I do about it? They are both deployed on the same server, same hardware.

I really appreciate all assistance for this!

Thank you so much;

Yours sincerely,

H. Vi

--------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening everyone~

Alright, I would like to ask a question, which I believe has been commonly posted in multiple forums and stuff like that, but everything was vague and to a certain extent, not very clear. I am a student currently tasked to create a Unified Comms infrastructure of sorts for my school. I would appreciate all the guidance I get, so thank you so much for your time!

Onto the problem, I will first give a brief scenario of what's going on:

The school assigned us a single Server, only one workstation. We are to create the Unified Comms infrastructure using it.

The thing is, even on the Exchange Server level, we are not using the Edge Transport Role. [Yes, I am aware of the risks].

We are using an internal CA, which provides us our certs.

Up till now, using Exchange Server, we are able to send emails within our internal network.

I am also making use of the Active Directory. EVERYTHING is on this Single Server over there. The server's a Win'08 x64 SP1.

Today, I wanted to install OCS to enable the Voice and IM functionalities. I installed the server appropriately, such as allocating the obtained Cert for the IIS, and such.

Everything ran rather smoothly until the VALIDATE SERVER portion.

When I try to start services, this service; RTCSRV will never start up. 

I received this error code : 

0xC3EC79E6

and also, it keeps saying 'Service startup failed as requested' or something to that effect.

Things I have tried;

1. Obtain a new cert and re-issue it to the IIS.

2. Restart the server.

I am honestly confused. I would really appreciate all sorts of help I could get for this.

Thank you so much!

Yours sincerely,

H.Vi

Monday, May 3, 2010 3:14 PM

Answers

• It's not recommend collocate Exchange server with OCS server, I would suggest you deploy Virtual Server or VPC to test them. 

Best Regards!
    • Proposed as answer by Hugo Picão Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Friday, May 14, 2010 5:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:36 AM
  • I understand the risks, however, the scenario is rather hard to accomplish at the current point, because of the limitations set for us.

Is there no possible way to turn the server up in this case?

Microsoft Office Communicator also keeps returning an error stating the 'server is temporarily down' or something, and doesn't allow any connections even though Microsoft Outlook is up and successfully sending emails between the clients.

Could I please have some advice on this?

Thank you~

Yours sincerely,

H. Vi

Communicator client has nothing to do with Outlook and e-mails.

You could change the default port on one of the services (either ocs or exch um) but it will be harder for you to configure a proper installation of OCS.

You should really try and get a separate machine (even if it's virtual, it's not supported but it works!) for OCS rather than collocating it with Exchange and multiply your problems. You will have enough problems with OCS even if you follow recommended and default installation, you don't need any more :-)

Hugo Picão MCSE / MCTS http://hpicao.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:47 AM

All replies

• Would you post up here errors and warnings in event logs for narrow down the issue?

Best Regards!
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:21 AM
  • Good afternoon and thank you for your prompt reply.

After much research and testing, I realized the conflict was like this;

IF Exchange Unified Messaging Service is STARTED, OCS Front-End Service CANNOT be started.

I browsed a few sites and chanced upon something regarding;

"Port 5060 Conflict" or something. Is it safe to say that Exchange UM and OCS Front End uses the same port?

If so, what should I do about it? They are both deployed on the same server, same hardware.

I really appreciate all assistance for this!

Thank you so much;

Yours sincerely,

H. Vi

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Oh and, I would wish to add that, when I perform the validation of the Front End server now, it is alright. It will succeed, but I have to turn the Exchange UM service down.

Also, Microsoft Communicator is unable to connect to the Communications Server. There isn't any other reason other than it being 'temporarily down'. Is anyone able to help on this? Thank you in advance! 

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:53 AM
  • It's not recommend collocate Exchange server with OCS server, I would suggest you deploy Virtual Server or VPC to test them. 

Best Regards!
    • Proposed as answer by Hugo Picão Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:36 AM
  • I understand the risks, however, the scenario is rather hard to accomplish at the current point, because of the limitations set for us.

Microsoft Office Communicator also keeps returning an error stating the 'server is temporarily down' or something, and doesn't allow any connections even though Microsoft Outlook is up and successfully sending emails between the clients.

Thank you~

Yours sincerely,

H. Vi

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:29 AM

Thank you~

Yours sincerely,

H. Vi

Communicator client has nothing to do with Outlook and e-mails.

You could change the default port on one of the services (either ocs or exch um) but it will be harder for you to configure a proper installation of OCS.

You should really try and get a separate machine (even if it's virtual, it's not supported but it works!) for OCS rather than collocating it with Exchange and multiply your problems. You will have enough problems with OCS even if you follow recommended and default installation, you don't need any more :-)

Hugo Picão MCSE / MCTS http://hpicao.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:47 AM