System not responding to USB mouse immediately after fresh boot - ALL Restore Points deleted by automatic updates??? (W7 HP 32bit) RRS feed

• Question

• Over the past few days (I suspect since a bundle of "Important" updates were installed on 16/12/2010), whenever I boot up either of the two systems I have running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit I can get no response to mouse-clicks.  Mousing over desktop icons selects them, but nothing happens if I either double-left or single-right click on them, while neither the taskbar or system tray respond at all.  The only way I can get a system to respond to either the mouse is to press Ctrl-Alt-Del then slowly click twice on the [Cancel] button on the resulting menu screen.  The system then reverts to its normal startup desktop with the mouse fully active.  Generally, I can then work without further hindrance as long as I wish (I have all power options set to "Never" on both systems so periods of idleness are not an issue).

One system has a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse V2.0 connected via wire to USB and the other has a Logitech T-BC21 Trackball, also wire connected to USB, both with the latest drivers from their respective manufacturers.  The former had an USB wired keyboard but the latter had a wired PS/2 keyboard.  Connecting all the USB devices on the two systems via adapters to appropriate PS/2 ports resolved the inital no-response situation, although in a less-than satisfactory manner.

But then came my horrifying discovery - having seen another report of a similar problem being overcome by restoring the system to before that batch of updates, I went to do the same only to discover there are NO restore points present on my computer despite System Protection being "On" on the system residence drive and over 100 "Important" and "Recommended" updates recorded as having been successfully installed since first installation four months ago!  When I checked a couple of other systems on which the same batch of updates had been installed, the only restore points on them were any created since then! 

So it appears one or more of the automatic updates recently installed is not only causing initial reaction problems with USB mouses, but has also deleted ALL previous System Restore points and not created any to replace them.  And that is a FAR more concerning/worrying issue!

If anyone needs more information, ask away; and if someone has any ideas, they would be most welcome.

And a Blessed Christmas and a peaceful New Year to all!

Tony Jessup
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

Does it work in safe mode? If it works normally, you can try Clean Boot to find which cause this issue.

Based on your description, I recommend you update your BIOS to the latest one and also refresh the USB stack:

Control Panel – Device Manager – USB Serial Controllers – RIGHT CLICK on EVERYTHING and UNINSTALL all except the category itself – Reboot. This refreshes the drive and the USB stack.

Then check if the issue persists.

If it doesn’t work, you can manually delete the updates one by one you had installed these days to check if it works.

Control Panel –Programs and Features – View installed Updates.  Right-click the updates and choose uninstall.

Note: After you find which is the culprit, it's better to install other updates.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:09 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 7:46 AM