AVHD locations were moved - now cannot export and snapshots do not merge RRS feed

• Question

• The following changes that were made and are thought to be causing the problems were done because SCVMM 'migrate storage' feature wouldn't work when the vhd and/or the avhds were stored in a subfolder of the VM folder. So we moved them to the root folder using the steps below:

1. Switched VM off
    2. Cut and paste vhds and avhds from the sub-folder to the root of the VM folder where the original vhd resided.
    3. Used Hyper-V manager to view VM settings and updated the location of the original avhd that it was pointing to.
    3b. When updating avhd location an error1 popped up: "Data loss may occur if you continue...if you want to retain changes, create another snapshot to preserve those changes." and it gives the options to take snapshot and continue or continue without snapshot.
    3c. On clicking continue without snapshot option, a second error2 appeared warning "make sure the avhd file you are about to attach is not used by any other virtual machine".
    4. We chose continue.
    5. The VM starts fine and seems to work ok.
    6. If we shut down the VM and try an export it gives the following error3:  export failed for vm the system cannot find the path specified (0x80070003)
    7. It also gave a similar error when we tried to delete the parent snapshot
    8. It did let us delete the snapshot subtree but it didn't merge any of the avhds even after shutting down the VM and leaving it off for 5 minutes. So we now have Hyper-V GUI showing 7 snapshots but there is 9 avhd files.
    9. When we inspect the disk chain starting with the newest avhd its parent disk is different than if we use HypV GUI to directly look at the settings of the parent of the 'NOW' snapshot.

I know this is difficult to explain, ideally I think it would be best to be able to upload a video clip of the problem. It would be so much easier to show people the problem.
    Ideally what we would like is to get the VM back in a healthy state. I would be happy to get rid of all the snapshots but I'm wary of corrupting this live system without being able to back it up using export etc.

Thanks for any advice.

NOTE:

Friday, October 19, 2012 9:24 AM

All replies