none
In Project Online... Can you share a project with one of the project's resources? Users? RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the midst of testing Microsoft Project Online to see if its use is appropriate for our Company....

I set up a test project. Is there a way I can share the project with somebody else? 

Do they have to be a resource?

Do they have to be a user?

Can they be someone external to the project?

If I can do it... how do I do it?

I clicked on the share button. The next screen asks me to "invite people". When I enter an e-mail address I get the message "No results found".

Thank you,

Jack

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:50 PM

All replies

• Are you using project online in your company's office 365 tenant?

Every user who wants to login to project online must be a license user(at least minimum essential $7per user/month)

Anybody can be added as a resource in resource center without a license. 

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:58 PM
  • Kayakjack --

The first thing you need to do with Project Online is to change the Permissions Mode setting from SharePoint Permissions to Project Permissions.  This will give you much finer control over who can do what in the system.

Secondly, when a PM creates a new project, builds a team with enterprise resources, and then assigns those resources to tasks, the system will give the team members access to the information in the project.  They can view information about the project in Project Center views and in Detailed Project views, but they cannot open and edit the project.  The team members can also enter their task progress on either the Timesheet page or the Tasks page, depending on which method of tracking you use.  The system will also grant permissions to those project team members to access the SharePoint Project Site, where the team members can collaborate with the PM to manage risks, issues, and documents associated with the project.

The default permissions in Project Online allow each PM to see his/her own projects (projects that he/she created), but the PMs are not allowed to see the projects owned by other PMs.  It is possible to tweak the permissions so that PMs can open their own projects Read/Write, but can only open other PMs' projects Read-Only.

Just a few thoughts.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:07 PM
  • In addition to both preceding, excellent answers, you can click on the permissions button and share with someone who is not a team member on the project, and you can also share with someone who is external to the organisation.

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Using-Project-Online-with-external-users-F305A365-3D81-48BC-A3D0-4260E7326899 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Thursday, January 25, 2018 12:45 PM
  • Thank you all for your answers!!
    Friday, January 26, 2018 5:28 PM