Hard drive free space drops and grows RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry, I don't know if this is the right group for this or not...

I am running Vista Ultimate 32Bit SP1 on Lenovo ThinkPad T61p, 100GB HDD, 3GB RAM.

Within the last few days, my hard drive free space dropped to as low as 500MB. I have an 88GB partition, and normally run around 8-9GB free. I looked last night and I was down to 2GB. Checked about a half hour later and I was down to 1.3GB. Then it hit 500MB. I opened Symantec AntiVirus and by the time that opened I was up to 1.5GB free. I ran a full scan and nothing was found. Today, it kept bouncing around 1.5GB to 1.9GB free space. All of a sudden, I'm now up to 8.15GB free! Ahhh!!

I use a piece of software called FolderInfo found at www.gemmico.com. It's not perfect, it's calculations of free space isn't accurate, but it's calculations of used space is dead on. It's a great app for scanning your entire harddrive and returning a tree view of who is using what space up. When my hdd hit 500MB free space, I did a scan and then scanned again at 1.5GB, and now again at 8.15GB. FolderInfo showed that the free space was accurate. The only differences between each scan was my user profile folder changed size within 50MB (I think it was updates). So from when my hard drive had 500MB free and now has 8.15GB free, the only large difference is 50MB less in my profile (c\users\dlozzi).  I cannot account for the Gigs of space used up and then freed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? If it happens again, what can I do to better determine the issue?

Thanks a million!!
    Friday, September 12, 2008 7:45 PM

All replies

• Now it's at 6.59GB free!! AHHHH

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:46 PM
  • So, in the continuing saga of my free space... I downloaded PA WatchDisk.  A neat little app that will scan and store your folder sizes, then you can pull reports against other scans to see what changed. So I did a scan when I had 8GB free, and just now, i'm down to 2.85GB free. The scan shows nowthing changed (there was a 400MB drop in file size). Yeah, the total the first time was 72.446GB and now it's using 72.027GB but windows explorer is showing I have 2.85GB free. what is up with that?!

Using a rootkit revealer now, hopefully I'll find something!

2.6gb free and all I've been doing is writing this message....
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 1:55 AM
  • So, the rootkit revealer for Vista didn't work well. I couldnt do much with it and from what I've read, it's not that reliable for Vista.

Right now, using PA WatchDisk i have 72.877GB used on my 86.7GB drive, but Windows is reporting only 238MB free! A few minutes ago it was down to 171MB. This is terrifying!

Friday, September 19, 2008 7:47 PM