Win7 always switches to Duplicate Screen Mode at login RRS feed

• Question

• I frequently use a laptop in a dual monitor set up to a second monitor. Every time I boot and login, more specifically once I reach the desktop, the system changes to duplicate mode instead of remaining on extend mode. I use Windows+P to switch back into extend display mode, no big deal but kind of annoying that I must wait a few seconds every boot for the screens to go into duplicate mode and then be set back manually into extend mode. Is there some way to stop Windows from jumping back into duplicate?

I installed the driver for this monitor which I'm currently using but it had no effect, the switching back still occurs.

Possibly helpful clues:
    Win7 Enterprise 32-bit
    Intel HD Graphics Driver Version 8.15.10.2622
    HP L2045w (got the latest driver today, no change; was previously a generic PnP device)
    This laptop does have a Wacom touch screen interface, would that be causing the resizing/duplicate mode to be invoked?

If worse comes to worse, I'll just hack some code together to run during start up to set it into extend mode. I did see some code floating around over in MSDN forums on display modes.

Thanks in advance!

creators.xna.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, please try the following:

1. Manually setup multiple monitors by referring to Add an extra monitor for a laptop section in Work and play better with multiple monitors.

2. Check if the issue will occur in Clean Boot Mode.

3. Test the issue with another user account.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by clawD27 Monday, July 16, 2012 12:51 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Found the culprit:

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl /start
    (in the registry under Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)

Disabling this at start up solves the problem.

Edit:
    Typing "Adjust HP Quick Launch Buttons Properties" in the start menu shows some of the features HP Quick Launch Buttons does. I suspect that HP QLB are involved with tablet PC screen rotation detection, so disabling HP QLB will require the user to go to the Windows Screen Resolution control panel to rotate the screen manually. Screen brightness fn keys no longer function when QlbCtrl is disabled. 

creators.xna.com is no more.

• Edited by clawD27 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:10 PM Further details on HP QLB
    • Marked as answer by AprilZhang Friday, August 24, 2012 7:20 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, please try the following:

1. Manually setup multiple monitors by referring to Add an extra monitor for a laptop section in Work and play better with multiple monitors.

2. Check if the issue will occur in Clean Boot Mode.

3. Test the issue with another user account.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

• Marked as answer by clawD27 Monday, July 16, 2012 12:51 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Clean boot, by disabling all of the non-MS services and boot items, did solve the problem. I shall narrow down which item is causing this issue and report back which item it was. 

Also, I forgot to mention that this switching to duplicate screen mode doesn't occur until the network adapter establishes a network connection and receives a local IP address, followed by the Desktop Gadgets appearing (two of which display what the local and external IP address, explaining the delay). I suspect it is the desktop gadgets, but let me test it out first and report back.

Thanks Jeremy!

Monday, July 16, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Found the culprit:

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl /start
    (in the registry under Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)

Disabling this at start up solves the problem.

Edit:
    Typing "Adjust HP Quick Launch Buttons Properties" in the start menu shows some of the features HP Quick Launch Buttons does. I suspect that HP QLB are involved with tablet PC screen rotation detection, so disabling HP QLB will require the user to go to the Windows Screen Resolution control panel to rotate the screen manually. Screen brightness fn keys no longer function when QlbCtrl is disabled. 

• Edited by clawD27 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:10 PM Further details on HP QLB
    • Marked as answer by AprilZhang Friday, August 24, 2012 7:20 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Thanks so much clawD27! Your solution definitely worked on mine too! Many thanks! 
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:06 AM
  • Hi clawD27,

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Cheers!

Jeremy Wu

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:26 AM