Single Sign on for Office 2016 (365) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I work in a college and we are looking at deploying Office 2016 (Office 365 ProPlus) being deployed with SCCM. I have set up a test deployment with share activation enabled as students use many different computers in the college they would easily reach the 5 activation limit. 
    The issue is when signing into the computers and someone launches an office program it requires the user to log in. I believe its possible for Office to sign in automatically using Office 365 single sign on. We have this enabled and works when you sign in to Microsoft online services such as portal.office.com etc

Any advice or information would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

As per this article, it's possible to use Single Sign On to reduce how often users are prompted to sign in for activation. It should remove the requirement for them to enter their password and only require them to enter their username at which point the authentication dialog will redirect them to your federated sign on page which would automatically sign them in. You may first check whether Single Sign On is configured correctly in your environment.

Moreover, starting with Version 1704 of Office 365 ProPlus, you can configure the licensing token to roam with the user's profile or be located on a shared folder on the network.

Since this forum focuses more on Office client related questions, I'd recommend you post a new question to the Office 365 Community forum to get further assistance:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365Admin

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, August 10, 2018 8:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by PeterD256 Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:37 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

As per this article, it's possible to use Single Sign On to reduce how often users are prompted to sign in for activation. It should remove the requirement for them to enter their password and only require them to enter their username at which point the authentication dialog will redirect them to your federated sign on page which would automatically sign them in. You may first check whether Single Sign On is configured correctly in your environment.

Moreover, starting with Version 1704 of Office 365 ProPlus, you can configure the licensing token to roam with the user's profile or be located on a shared folder on the network.

Since this forum focuses more on Office client related questions, I'd recommend you post a new question to the Office 365 Community forum to get further assistance:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365Admin

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, August 10, 2018 8:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by PeterD256 Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:37 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:21 AM
  • Dear Peter,

Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,
    Steve Fan

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:35 AM
  • Hi

Sorry for the delay, we have now managed to get this working. Thanks for your help :)

Peter
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:38 AM
  • You're welcome, Peter.

Cheers,
    Steve Fan

Friday, August 17, 2018 1:30 AM