How to measure Outlook/Exchange performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to measure Outlook 2013 / Exchange Server 2016 quality of service from the user's perspective.  The link between client and server is via VPN over a satellite link, so the rtt ping time can be 600-1200 ms.

Cacheing is turned off to improve consistency of results.

Ideally, I want to collect the following:

1.    1--sender

2.    2--recipient

3.   3-- hh:mm:ss time the sender hit the send button to send a message with 1 MB html image in the body

4.   4-- hh:mm:ss time the Exchange server received the complete message and attachment

5.   5-- hh:mm:ss time the recipient clicked on the message to view it

6.   6-- hh:mm:ss time the message became fully visible on the recipient's screen

Currently I have a powershell program that will send an SMTP mail and collect 1,2,3.

If I send the message with delivery and read receipts requested, I think I can get 4 and 5 sent back to the sender using delivery receipt and return receipt requested.

# 6 has me stumped. Is there a file or a variable somewhere that I can check the size of e.g., once per second, that would tell me the progress of the message download?

Or, is there a better way to do this, preferably without the need to become an Exchange Administrator?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi JLM42,

>> Is there a file or a variable somewhere that I can check the size of e.g., once per second, that would tell me the progress of the message download?

From what I know, I am afraid there is no built-in option available in Outlook client side for this requirement. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:33 AM