none
550 5.4.4 Error when using Contact to Relay mail

Question

• Hi!

I have a customer who would like to use contacts to relay mails to external partners working for him. The problem is that when we send mails to this contact the sender receives a NDR with the code 550 5.4.4. We have been able to trace the problem back to the NoSpamProxy being used in the DMZ, because we can see the following in the logs:

220   mail.<customer domain> ready

EHLO   mail.<customer domain>

250-mail.<customer domain>   welcome

250-DSN

250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

250-8BITMIME

250   SIZE

MAIL   FROM:<Source Email-Address>   SIZE=15241

250   2.0.0 Requested mail action okay

RCPT   TO:<Name@Targetdomain>   ORCPT=rfc822;name@Customer Domain NOTIFY=FAILURE,DELAY

550   5.4.4 Unable to relay

QUIT

221 2.0.0 Service closing transmission channel

My guess is that the NoSpamProxy recognizes that the mail is being relayed and blocks it. I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and what your work-around is?

Thanks for any and all input.

Cheers,

Gerrit

If you think your to small to make a differnce, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room...

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi 

In your case what i understood is that you have created Mailcontacts to route emails to external partners

So you are having mailcontact - Routes to your SMTP gateway NoSpamProxy and you get the NDR from them

My guess is that the NoSpamProxy recognizes that the mail is being relayed and blocks it. I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and what your work-around is?

You need to create a routing table in your SMTP gateway and define the route IP address of your partner to this mail contact domain so that the SMTP server will route these emails to them.

This will work only if the SMTP route is defined to that destination Partners 

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts on http://exchangequery.com Thanks Sathish (MVP)

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:35 PM
  • Hi,
    How about the issue?

Are replies above helpful to you?

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:38 AM