none
Email Address Policy not updating when alias is changed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using Exchange 2007 and have noticed that if I remove one character from the end of an alias the email addresses don't update so say i had an alias gbrown135 with an address of gbrown135@mydomain.com when i remove the 5 from the alias the address is still the same.

Has anyone come seen this behaviour before? I've tried it in our live environment and our lab and its always the same outcome. Is this a feature in exchange or is it an error?

If I add a character or remove 2 characters it updates the email address. So the Email addresses are getting updates when the alias is changed just not when i remove one character.

Any help or input appreciated

Thanks

Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, if you use the default email address policy, when you remove one character from the end of an alias, the email address will not update, which is by design. Because the alias and the email address are the different parts, you can set them as difference.

·         >> If I add a character or remove 2 characters it updates the email address. So the Email addresses are getting updates when the alias is changed just not when i remove one character.

As for this situation, I suspect it is due to email address policy so you need to check it: go to EMC->Organization Configuration->Hub Transport->E-mail Address Policies

Hope it helps. If you encounter any difficulties, please let us know.

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Friday, January 13, 2012 1:49 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 2:27 AM