Customized instance in Not monitored state RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a MP with following EntityTypes,

<ClassType ID="HardwareMgmtPack.IMM2.ManagementModule" Base="System!System.Device" Accessibility="Public" Abstract="false" Hosted="false" Singleton="false">
    		  <Property ID="UUID" Key="true" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="USER" Key="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="Password" Key ="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="Enable_power_poll" Key="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="Manufacturer" Key="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="Model" Key="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="PartNumber" Key="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="SerialNumber" Key="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="NumberOfPowerTransitions" Key="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="NumberOfReboots" Key="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>
    		  <Property ID="IPAddress" Key="false" Type="string" CaseSensitive="false"/>

</ClassType>

then, I already discovered the instance of this entity.

However, when I try to add a UnitMonitor like below

<UnitMonitor ID="UIGeneratedMonitor3a482f6347f94290b528cdfe15761dd6" Accessibility="Public" Enabled="true" Target="HardwareMgmtPackIMM2v250171!IBM.HardwareMgmtPack.IMM2.ManagementModule" ParentMonitorID="Health!System.Health.AvailabilityState" Remotable="true" Priority="Normal" TypeID="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.SingleEventLogManualReset2StateMonitorType" ConfirmDelivery="true">
            <Category>Custom</Category>
            <AlertSettings AlertMessage="UIGeneratedMonitor3a482f6347f94290b528cdfe15761dd6_AlertMessageResourceID">
              <AlertOnState>Warning</AlertOnState>
              <AutoResolve>true</AutoResolve>
              <AlertPriority>Normal</AlertPriority>
              <AlertSeverity>Error</AlertSeverity>
              <AlertParameters>
                <AlertParameter1>$Data/Context/EventDescription$</AlertParameter1>
              </AlertParameters>
            </AlertSettings>
            <OperationalStates>
              <OperationalState ID="UIGeneratedOpStateId1f662c87e7244c429f61ac6413cc8831" MonitorTypeStateID="EventRaised" HealthState="Warning" />
              <OperationalState ID="UIGeneratedOpStateId30495cddbb544558a9219c7e92aaf813" MonitorTypeStateID="ManualResetEventRaised" HealthState="Success" />
            </OperationalStates>
            <Configuration>
              <ComputerName>.</ComputerName>
              <LogName>Operations Manager</LogName>
              <Expression>
                <And>
                  <Expression>
                    <SimpleExpression>
                      <ValueExpression>
                        <XPathQuery Type="UnsignedInteger">EventDisplayNumber</XPathQuery>
                      </ValueExpression>
                      <Operator>Equal</Operator>
                      <ValueExpression>
                        <Value Type="UnsignedInteger">331</Value>
                      </ValueExpression>
                    </SimpleExpression>
                  </Expression>
                  <Expression>
                    <SimpleExpression>
                      <ValueExpression>
                        <XPathQuery Type="String">PublisherName</XPathQuery>
                      </ValueExpression>
                      <Operator>Equal</Operator>
                      <ValueExpression>
                        <Value Type="String">IMM Event</Value>
                      </ValueExpression>
                    </SimpleExpression>
                  </Expression>
                </And>
              </Expression>
            </Configuration>
          </UnitMonitor>

I try to use this monitor to set the health state of the instance. However, the instance always showed as "Not monitored". And in the health explorer, all the tree are gray.

Any idea?

• Changed type Niki Han Monday, November 4, 2013 10:46 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:36 AM

All replies

• My first suggestion would be to move to MP authoring in Visual Studio. The Opsmgr console is limiting. Most MPs have the following components and they all work together in order for monitoring to work. A Class for what your going to monitor, which can contain different properties. A discovery for the class which populates the Class/properties. Monitoring, which can be achieved either thru a monitor or a rule. These (monitors and or rules) are targeted at your class, created in step 1. selecting the base class for what you are going to be monitoring is very important. NOTE The MP WIKI has much better documentation on what I threw together above, please use the MP WIKI as a better review of MP Authoring. from the snippets above I can not tell if the monitor is targeted at your class. 

I think a review of some information would be more helpful so you can try this again. First off check out the information from the TechNet wiki on mp authoring choosing your base class.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14258.operations-manager-management-pack-authoring-choosing-a-base-class.aspx

followed by a run thru of creating a sample mp using visual studio http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6287.visual-studio-authoring-extensions-example-management-pack.aspx

Try this out and let us know if it helps!

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) President - System Center Virtual Users Group |Vice President - Atlanta Southeast Management Users Group (ATL SMUG)
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you!
    my new blog om2012.wordpress.com

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:04 PM