Storage Sizing for MS RDS VDI on Hyper-v RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

We have requirement for deploying 500 windows 7 VDI using MS VDI. I couldn't find any exact sizing guide for this.Please Help me with sizing the storage part.

4 images of 30 GB each.

Total 500 desktops

Personal desktop (ability to install own applications).

Block storage available

thanks and regards

J.P Raj

Monday, February 23, 2015 5:23 PM

Answers

• By saying personal desktop, the calculation becomes pretty straightforward. 500 x (image size).   Not sure what you mean by '4 images of 30 GB each', but if that is what each VM will have, then it is 500 x 120GB as the base. 

Then you need to determine if you want to allow automatic saving of the VMs if the host goes down.  For that add the amount of memory assigned to each VM.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Monday, March 9, 2015 2:07 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 7:33 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>Actually my requirement is to deploy 500 vdi windows 7 and user should have ablity to install their own apps that should be persistent across reboots or logoff.

Yes , VDI can cover this .

I found this article below mentioned the procedure of deploying VDI :

http://blog.itvce.com/2012/08/21/deploying-windows-8-virtual-desktop-infrastructure-on-windows-server-2012/

Also there is a document detailed server 2012 VDI deployment for 2500 users

Hope it is helpful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:04 AM

All replies

• By saying personal desktop, the calculation becomes pretty straightforward. 500 x (image size).   Not sure what you mean by '4 images of 30 GB each', but if that is what each VM will have, then it is 500 x 120GB as the base. 

Then you need to determine if you want to allow automatic saving of the VMs if the host goes down.  For that add the amount of memory assigned to each VM.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, February 23, 2015 7:33 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I am not expert with MS VDI. I have worked with citrix and Vmware view.

Actually my requirement is to deploy 500 vdi windows 7 and user should have ablity to install their own apps that should be persistent across reboots or logoff. Hence I selected personal desktop (correct me if I am wrong).

In citrix or vmware this persistent data are stored in a separate persistent disk and OS disk is always non persistent .Also linked clone and thin provisioning are involved. But I dont know whats the case with MS Vdi.

Thanks and Regards

J.P Raj

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:32 AM
  • Hi Sir,

>>Actually my requirement is to deploy 500 vdi windows 7 and user should have ablity to install their own apps that should be persistent across reboots or logoff.

Yes , VDI can cover this .

I found this article below mentioned the procedure of deploying VDI :

http://blog.itvce.com/2012/08/21/deploying-windows-8-virtual-desktop-infrastructure-on-windows-server-2012/

Also there is a document detailed server 2012 VDI deployment for 2500 users

Hope it is helpful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:04 AM
  • Hi ,

One last question from licensing part. As per my understanding these are the license involved for 100 thin client users. Correct me if I am wrong!

Windows Server License (includes hyper-v)- for physical hosts and VM's

100 VDA license - For virtual desktops

100 CALS license - For accessing the virtual desktops

Regards!

Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:00 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Sorry for the delay .

License issue is beyond what we can support, I would suggest you contact MS Activation Center to get the accurate assistance :

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton JI

Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:40 PM