Unknown ICON in System Tray RRS feed

• Question

• Hello & Thank in advance.

, windows explorer opens (not IE), which shows my drives etc.  To me it looks like a mapping type Icon, but kinda hard to see clearly.  Can I post a message with a picture here? Let me know if you need any other info.  

Thanks

KenJG

Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:59 PM

Answers

• If you want to get rid of that icon, very simple way is to recreate your new user profile on that server.

Knowledge Seeker

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:00 AM

All replies

• You can post a picture in your skydrive (live.com), or any other location on the web, then just post the URL.  In the meantime, check your running programs and processes, you may see something running that shouldnt be.  (task manager).

Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:15 PM
  •  Click Reply then on tool bar click Insert Image (as below), then Upload, browse to and select picture, click Open, then Insert

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Hello Jorge,</p><p>AS I mentioned I ran the comp in Safe Mode with minimal items running. I also downloaded a program called Process Explorer and didn't see anything peculiar.&nbsp; If you want I can take a screenshot of this and post, will it help?&nbsp; I attached a screenshot of the ICON I an asking about.

Regards

KenJG

Sunday, April 1, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Hello Dave,

Here is the screenshot of the ICON at hand.  "The RED-X icon"

Sunday, April 1, 2012 4:03 PM

Sorry my message got cut off. 

I have an ICON in the System Tray that I don't know what it is and how it got there.  I don't have a mapping drive attached or network printer.  When I click the ICON, windows explorer opens (not IE), which shows my drives etc.  To me it looks like a mapping type Icon, but kinda hard to see clearly.  I did run in Safe mode, still shows up and I ran a program called process explorer and didn't see anything peculiar.

The pic is shown below with the RED-X.

Thanks

KenJG

Sunday, April 1, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Looks like a disconnected printer but hard to say. I'd try hovering over it or double-clicking/right-clicking it to see what you get. What operating system?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

• Proposed as answer by Jayawardhane Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:53 PM
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hello Dave,

I'd try hovering over it or double-clicking/right-clicking it to see what you get
    Answer:  Nothing appears after hovering. Right clicking does nothing and double clicking opens windows explorer

What operating system?
    Answer: Windows 2008 Server Std 32-bit

Regards
    KenJG
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Try running msconfig then check the startup tab, disable all and the services tab checking the box for hide all microsoft and disable all, after restart see if it still shows or not.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:52 PM
  • Hello Dave,

I have done everything I normally would do to troubleshoot issues.  Do you know what actually sets the network mapping to start.  Where in the processes would this be?  If I look in the task manager, I don't see anything related to this. I will try to disable ALL and see if I can see if it starts up with any of the processes.

Thanks for your replies.

Best Regards

KenJG

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:15 AM
  • That's the best method for trouble shooting and process of elimination.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:20 AM
  • Hello,

Seems like a disconnected printer but not sure.

When this mysterious icon appears, right click the task bar and choose Properties.  Notification Area – Customize.  What’s the description of this icon?

Thanks
    Zhang

Monday, April 2, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Hello Zhang,

When I do your procedure, it shows ICON as "unknown".  I even tried to hide it and when I re-boot/or re-logon it shows up again.  I wonder if I should uninstall my current printer and see if it can correct itself.

Thanks

KenJG

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:08 PM

Sorry my message got cut off. 

I have an ICON in the System Tray that I don't know what it is and how it got there.  I don't have a mapping drive attached or network printer.  When I click the ICON, windows explorer opens (not IE), which shows my drives etc.  To me it looks like a mapping type Icon, but kinda hard to see clearly.  I did run in Safe mode, still shows up and I ran a program called process explorer and didn't see anything peculiar.

The pic is shown below with the RED-X.

Thanks

KenJG

The task bar snapshot provided is certainly doesn't belong to either 2008 or 2008 R2 !

OR, you must have installed Aero theme on 2008 server which is also not supported by default until and unless you have enabled Desktop Experience feature as far as my knowledge goes !

2008/R2 task bar looks like this...

I suspect that, the icon which you are talking about is a disconnected printer on Windows 7 machine and I beleive print server is running on 2008 Server.

Knowledge Seeker

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hello Knowledge Seeker,

I have installed Desktop Experience on Win2k8 Std 32-bit, and have added the Windows Vista Theme your seeing. 

Below is what I have in my location.

Desktop running Win7 Ultimate with printers installed, both are connected by USB and 1 of them is WiFi.

I have win2k8 on a laptop in which I access the printers thru win7.  I recently installed the WiFi type printer, so I don't know if that's what the ICON is showing.  I normally have the WiFi printer off until I need to print to it.

I hope some if this info helps.

Best Regards

KenJG & Thanks for your reply

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Following discussion might help ...

How do I remove obsolete icons from the notification area?  (should work on WS 2008 as well)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-do-i-remove-obsolete-icons-from-the/b37a80a9-0d25-44ee-8c0c-062c26512b31

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Hello Santosh,

Thank you for the reply.

I tried the link procedure but it did not work.  I might juhst have to live with it for now until it goes away , like it appeared. LOL.

Best Regard

KenJG

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Rename PastIconsStream to PastIconsStream.old and create a new Reg Binary Key with Zero length.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:06 AM
  • Use gdiview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/gdi_handles.html), that list all .exe that have GDI ressource allocated. That icon ressource will pop in the list with a .exe on the side.

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:03 AM
  • If you want to get rid of that icon, very simple way is to recreate your new user profile on that server.

Knowledge Seeker

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:00 AM