Outlook rule is not working, RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    User has a rule setup on his outlook. when email is being received by user1@mydomain.com with subject "xyz" forward the mail
    to abc@gmail.com. The rule was working fine and suddenly it stops working, rules has been deleted and recreated but same issue.
    outlook profile has been reconfigured but no luck.
    experts guide me to troubleshoot
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:56 PM

Answers

• Sorry All, Actually user put a rule to forward email to more than 10 external users. and there is a limitation in Office365, as user cannot forward to more than 10 external users. Below article which states that

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/exchange-online-service-description/exchange-online-limits#journal-transport-and-inbox-rule-limits-across-office-365-options

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, January 2, 2019 1:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Risingflight Wednesday, January 2, 2019 4:40 AM
    Tuesday, January 1, 2019 1:43 PM

All replies

• Which version of Outlook ?

In Outlook.com/Settings/Options/Mail/Accounts > Click  Forwarding.

When I clicked this, make sure it say Forwarding was turned ON 

Have a look at the below thread ... 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook/rule-to-forward-email-is-not-working/9093b4dd-42b7-41db-af05-778f511e2b95?auth=1

If its Outlook 2013 - please have a look at this thread...

https://superuser.com/questions/1264154/outlook-2013-rule-to-redirect-mail-not-working

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:14 PM
  • I dont see this option in outlook2016
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 1:21 AM
  • Hi Risingflight,

What’s your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

As far as I know, for Exchange account, this should be by design that rules to auto-forward messages only work when you forward email to internal users. If you set to forward messages to external recipients, they will not receive messages.

If this is not your case, we can try manually running this rule to test the result. To do this, please go to File > Manage Rules & Alerts. Select your rule and click Run Rules Now.

Besides, to avoid rule conflicts, please select “stop processing more rules”. We can move the rule to top of the list and then see if it works normally.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 4:42 AM
  • all are internal users
    • Edited by Risingflight Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:16 AM d
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:02 AM
  • Hi Risingflight,

Does it only happen to specific client? Does the suggestion above work for you?

As far as I know, this kind of rule (auto-forward) is saved on the server and messages are automatically forwarded on the server. We can close Outlook client and directly test this rule via OWA to see if it works.

In case the rule was broken on the server, please directly delete and recreate it on OWA. To do this, please log on the web mail and go to Settings > Mail > Rules.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:54 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:53 AM
  • Hi experts 

This is happening for one user. The rule is to forward email to external and internal user, for external user it doesnot work and its works fine for internal user. owa is disabled in our environment. Rule has been deleted and recreated it but same issue

• Edited by Risingflight Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:03 AM f
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:24 AM
  • The rule is to forward email to external and internal user, for external user it doesnot work and its works fine for internal user. 

Hi Risingflight,

Are you using Exchange accounts?

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, December 24, 2018 6:18 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2018 8:19 AM
  • Hi i am using exchange hybrid, i dont have any transport rule not forwarder created on mailbox, This should happen through outlook only. i am not able to check if the outlook rule triggered the mail or not, the rule  was working fine and it stops working suddenly. i have deleted and recreated the rule but still same issue. i did check on my outlook we can autofoward email to external users.

Monday, December 24, 2018 1:17 AM
  • Please have a look at any possible errors between the rules "working fine and it stops working suddenly" let us know.
    Monday, December 24, 2018 1:22 AM
  • Hi Risingflight,

Sorry for the misunderstanding before. After further research, Exchange account can use Inbox Rule to auto-forward email to external address.

If this specific user configures his account on your computer, does rule work?

If it only happens to specific client, we can repair Office to test the result. To do this, please go to Control Pane > Programs and Features. Right click your Office suit and then choose Change. Click Repair.

Agree with Thuyavan Ganesan, have you made any changes to Outlook and Windows before this issue occurs?

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, January 2, 2019 1:31 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2018 6:40 AM
  • Sorry All, Actually user put a rule to forward email to more than 10 external users. and there is a limitation in Office365, as user cannot forward to more than 10 external users. Below article which states that

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/exchange-online-service-description/exchange-online-limits#journal-transport-and-inbox-rule-limits-across-office-365-options

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, January 2, 2019 1:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Risingflight Wednesday, January 2, 2019 4:40 AM
    Tuesday, January 1, 2019 1:43 PM
  • Good to know that.

Hope this helps...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't forget to “mark the replies as answers” if they helped, also set "like" it’s a boost for us to keep blogging J

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated Community forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Kaizala.

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 1:56 PM
  • Hi Risingflight,

Thank you so much for sharing the information. As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook client, I haven't noticed the server limitation. This will benefit other users a lot.

By the way, would you mind helping mark your reply as answer so that Outlook users who is having same issue  will easily find the useful information here?

If you have other question about Outlook client, please feel free to post here. We are willing to help.

Have a nice day! :-)

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 1:31 AM