SharePoint integrated buttons in Office Excel are not shown for files containing external data sources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a minor issue with a single Excel file located on our SharePoint 2007 intranet. It seems that the ribbon buttons integrated with SharePoint (Check Out, Check In, Discard Check Out etc.) are not displayed if a user opens the file by clicking directly on the link. If the user selects "Check Out" or "Edit in Microsoft Excel" from the document library the buttons are displayed which lead me to do some investigation on the file itself.

It turns out that the file contains an external data connection - if I strip down the excel sheet to a bare minimum the buttons are not shown. But as soon as I remove the connection and the corresponding data range the buttons are displayed so I'm pretty sure this is the cause.

My question is why a data connection would prevent the SharePoint integrated buttons from being shown? Checking out a document should only concern the file item in SharePoint and not the actual content of the file. Am I missing something here? I have already checked the permissions on the document library and they are in order.

• Moved by Lily Wu Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:31 AM MOSS 2007 issue. Thanks. (From:SharePoint 2010 - Using SharePoint Designer, Infopath, and other customization)
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:22 AM

All replies

• I will move this issue to Pre-SharePoint 2010 forum since it’s regarding MOSS 2007.

I assume you’re talking about the Check Out and Discard Check Out button in the Excel 2007 Office button -> Server. It is pretty weird if the buttons are displayed when user open the file by clicking "Edit in Microsoft Excel"  but aren’t displayed when clicking the file link directly because both these ways opens the same file.
    Can you check in the file with external data connection when closing the file in Office?

Thanks & Regards.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Hi Lily,

Thanks for moving the thread - I completely messed up when posting it in the wrong forum...

You're right, those are the buttons in Office 2007. However I have no problem saving my changes even with the data connection present and the buttons missing, but when closing the document from Office I never get a dialog asking me if I want to check in the document - only if I want to save the changes or not.

Since this document is an older .xls file I also tried upgrading it to a 2007 workbook (xlsx) and even a macro-enabled workbook (xlsm) but the result is the same. Could it be that somehow the criteria for being able to use the buttons in Office 2007 depends on the current user having write-permissions on alle of the cells? I'm thinking that a data range imposed on one or more cells would probably mark the cells initially as read-only, although I have no problem erasing the content of the cells - they just get re-loaded with data when I re-open the document.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:12 PM