none
Accessing encrypted files in a Windows network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have some encrypted files on computer A, which I can not access if I use another computer B and access the files through Windows network. I have installed the pfx certification file on computer B. The user names are different, but even if I use "Net use \\computer_a\sharedrive /user:ComputerAuser" I still get the message that I can not access the files. Not encrypted files on computer A I can access without any problems.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Saturday, April 13, 2019 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you get access is denied message when opening encrypted files, you may need to first export the EFS certificate and key and then import the EFS certificate and key. This occurs because either you do not have permission to view the file or the key that was used to encrypt the file is probably not on the other computer.

I would like to confirm if you have added the certificate to the encrypted files. If not, please follow the steps below:

1. Right-click the encrypted file, and then click Properties.

2. Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.

3. In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, click Details.

4. In the dialog box that appears, click Add.

5. Click the certificate, and then click OK in each of the four open dialog boxes.

If you still can't access the encrypted files,  I would like to further confirm the following points:

-Is the certificate that encrypts the file expired?

-Does the computer join domain?

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 3:21 AM
  • 嗨,

你的问题解决了吗?

如果是,您是否愿意分享您的解决方案,以便其他社区成员能够快速找到有用的回复。

如果不是,请回复并告诉我们当前的情况,以便提供进一步的帮助。

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

Since you have not responded for a long time, we will temporarily archive this post.

If you have any questions,  please feel free to contact us.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:05 AM