none
FAST Managed property stripping html RRS feed

• Question

• I have a site colum that I am using to enter data into an SP list with the following attributes

Type="Note"
         AllowHyperlink="TRUE"
         RichText="TRUE"
         RichTextMode="FullHtml"

when I look at the view form in SP the html formatting is preserved.

I have a managed property tied to this column in FAST.  When I do a query against FAST and look at this field the HTML formatting has been stripped out.  I'd like to keep the html foratting for display purposes.  Is there any way to do this?

Dan Budimir

• Moved by GreggPJ - MSFT Friday, July 6, 2012 1:45 PM moving to appropriate forum (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:27 PM

Answers

• Thanks Pengyu for looking at this issue.  I've come up with a work around but I'm not sure if it is the only/best way to acheive the desired results.  My client is storing different pieces of information in a SharePoint List.  That information is crawled by FAST and stored.  We then use the information from FAST to dynamically build a document to be sent via email, hence the need the retain the html formatting.  I am now htmlencoding the needed fields before updating the list item.  FAST is now returning all of the data including formatting and I just need to htmldecode it.  Is there a better way?  Do you see any problems with this approach?

Dan Budimir

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:21 AM
  • Thanks Pengyu for looking at this issue.  I've come up with a work around but I'm not sure if it is the only/best way to acheive the desired results.  My client is storing different pieces of information in a SharePoint List.  That information is crawled by FAST and stored.  We then use the information from FAST to dynamically build a document to be sent via email, hence the need the retain the html formatting.  I am now htmlencoding the needed fields before updating the list item.  FAST is now returning all of the data including formatting and I just need to htmldecode it.  Is there a better way?  Do you see any problems with this approach?

Dan Budimir

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:03 PM
  • hi 

just wanted to know Is this thing is documented from Microsoft ..? that HTML is stripped out while crawling. 

please share any reference link 

Thanks

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Dan,

Thanks for posting your workaround for this problem.  I noticed that Zhao mentioned they are performing research, but that was almost 1 year ago.  I'd like to know if there is a true resolution to this since I'm having the same problem now in SP2010/F4SP.

Do you mind sharing your method for HTMLencoding the fields in the list item?  Are you doing this automatically or just running it through an encoder before pasting it into the column in the list?  I ask because my customer has attorneys that probably aren't going to encode HTML (or know how to do it) before they update a list.

Thanks,

John Lenker

John Lenker

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Hey John, I never did receive any feedback, I suppose the workaround is the best way to go. I actually created a second field for each field that I allowed html in.  Then used a custom input form to save the data.  I'd allow the regular html to go into the first field then HtmlEncode into the other.  I used the first field for all of my queries and the second field for the display.

listItem.myText = myText;
    listItem.myTextHtmlEncode = Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPHttpUtility.HtmlEncode(myText);

Hope that helps,
    Dan

Dan Budimir

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:51 PM