Reboot script - Define when the server is up again? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello !

I'm trying to create a Reboot script, but I have a question about, how I can define, when the server it's up again. 

What I mean about "when the server is up", in example; If I have a DC to reboot first, then I need a service or another option, that I can use to define the server it's up again, so the script can go to the next server on the list, but the twist is that I am looking for a service that can be used  to define "all" kind of servers (SQL, DC, File, NAV, Axapta, ect.)

Do someone have a good idea how i can define "when the server is up again"? 

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Janan,

the only way to do this is by creating a master list containing all services you consider defining and then check for each of those services:

• If it doesn't exist, that's ok
    • If it exists and is running, that's ok
    • If it exists and isn't running yet, the server isn't fully rebooted yet.

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Janan,

the only way to do this is by creating a master list containing all services you consider defining and then check for each of those services:

• If it doesn't exist, that's ok
    • If it exists and is running, that's ok
    • If it exists and isn't running yet, the server isn't fully rebooted yet.

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Hello !

I'm trying to create a Reboot script, but I have a question about, how I can define, when the server it's up again. 

What I mean about "when the server is up", in example; If I have a DC to reboot first, then I need a service or another option, that I can use to define the server it's up again, so the script can go to the next server on the list, but the twist is that I am looking for a service that can be used  to define "all" kind of servers (SQL, DC, File, NAV, Axapta, ect.)

Do someone have a good idea how i can define "when the server is up again"? 

PowerShell has that built into its CmdLet:

Restart-Computer -cn pc01 -wait

HELP Restart-Computer -FULL

This waits until the computer is up by testing various aspects to the computer for readiness.

One other reason to abandon batch files and VBScript.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hi Fred,

I was thinking the same, but I hoped I could find an easier way to do it, but I will try to define some services for each type of servers.

Thank you for the anwser ! ✌

Friday, April 11, 2014 10:15 AM
  • Hi Fred,

I was thinking the same, but I hoped I could find an easier way to do it, but I will try to define some services for each type of servers.

Thank you for the anwser ! ✌

This was made for that:

Restart-Computer -cn pc01 -wait

HELP Restart-Computer -FULL

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, April 11, 2014 10:17 AM