Problems with "Run as administrator" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi community,

I've a weird problem with my Win 7 32 bit Enterprise installation.
    I'm not able to open an administrative console via the common way.

Hit the Windows button -> type command (or cmd) -> using Ctrl+Shift+Enter -> nothing happens
    Hit the Windows button -> type command (or cmd) -> using right mouse -> run as admin -> nothing happens

Doing the same without "use as admin" -> command console opens

using the start menu -> accessories -> command prompt -> right mouse -> run as admin -> working!!

I tried a fey things:
    new user profile -> same behavior
    sfc /scannow -> no error -> still same bahvior
    disabled all additional services (lika virus scanner, etc...) -> no luck

I'm not sure when this behavior first started so I'm not able to tell which caused this.

Any ideas?

greetings,
    Mark
    Friday, October 9, 2009 8:12 AM

Answers

• I finally found the solution.
    I've installed a little app (ok, hit me it's an old app) called "copy path" (http://blogs.vertigosoftware.com/ralph/archive/2006/09/28/Copy_Path_Shell_Extension.aspx) which allows you to copy the full UNC path by context menu.
    Somehow this app breaks the context menu in Win 7 when using the search function :-(

After uninstalling the context menu works as expected.

Thx for all your ideas!
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:39 AM

All replies

• Is UAC turned off? Have you set any UAC policies in group policy?

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Hi Kerry,

UAC off? No, any other program is working; using system32\cmd.exe via explorer -> working
    only cmd via start menu isn't working (by typing cmd/command in the search box)

no UAC policies...

Friday, October 9, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Can you try a System Restore to a point in time where it wasn't happening?

Saturday, October 10, 2009 1:29 PM
  • @Kerry: I've no idea when this error first occurred, so reverting to a system restore point isn't an option for me...

@derosnec: you are right, this is somehow related to search results. I noticed that I'm not able to run any program as admin when found via search (press Windows button and type the name of the prog)
    I tried to rebuild the index, no luck...

When I right click an entry I've the following options:
    Open, Run as administrator, Pin to Taskbar, Pin to Start Menu, Remove from this list, Properties
    Strange: Run as administrator (notice the lower case a), is this normal?

The properties look fine, when I open the file location "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe" I'm able to start the Admin mode there (via right mouse)

any thoughts?

Saturday, October 10, 2009 4:19 PM
  • so maybe an advanced tech guy knows where to look in the registry?!?

I've just noticed that the function "Pin to Taskbar" isn't working either but "Pin to start menu" is working...

very strange....
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 4:33 PM
  • I finally found the solution.
    I've installed a little app (ok, hit me it's an old app) called "copy path" (http://blogs.vertigosoftware.com/ralph/archive/2006/09/28/Copy_Path_Shell_Extension.aspx) which allows you to copy the full UNC path by context menu.
    Somehow this app breaks the context menu in Win 7 when using the search function :-(

After uninstalling the context menu works as expected.

Thx for all your ideas!
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Good to know. Thanks for updating us with the solution.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:20 PM