none
Cannot enable disk protection: There is not enough space on the disk. RRS feed

• Question

• Im running xp on a 4gb ssd, and I want to use the steady state for the ewf filter, but when I try to turn it on, I get a error saying that I dont have enough space. The documentation clearly states that I need to have at least max(1gb, 10% HD Space). I have 3 GB of space free, which is 75% and is definitely more than 1 GB... so what gives?

To be more exact, this is the error I get:
    Windows Disk Protection:
    Windows Disk Protection cannot be installed or enabled. There is not enough space on the disk.

Then I tried: C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState\SCTUI.exe /EnableWDPAndReboot, but it returns w/ no output.

I also tried installing Shared Computer Toolkit, but it failed saying: Cannot crreate WinNT object.

Then I even tried the EWF from XP Embed, but all I got was a BSOD.

Monday, June 29, 2009 5:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, thanks for the post. Let's follow the steps below and make sure we have enough disk space to enable WDP.

Method 1: Empty the Temp Folder

--------------------

1. Click "Start", click "Run", input "cleanmgr.exe" (without quotation marks), and then press "Enter".

2. Click "C:" (or whatever drive on which Windows is installed), and then click "OK".

3. Click to select the "Temporary files" and "Temporary Internet Files" check boxes.

4. Click "OK", and then click "Yes" to confirm the deletion.

Method 2: Disable Hibernation

--------------------

1. Click "Start", click "Run", input "POWERCFG.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter".

2. On the "Hibernate" tab, click to clear the check box beside "Enable hibernation" and click "OK".

Method 3: Set Paging file to be smaller or move the paging file to another partition.

--------------------

1. Click "Start", click "Run", input "sysdm.cpl" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter".

2. On the "Advanced" tab, click the "Settings" button in the "Performance" section.

3. On the "Advanced" tab, click the "Change" button in the "Virtual memory" section.

4. You can manually set the size of the Paging file. I suggest setting the Initial size to 128 MB and set the Maximum size to 256 MB. Remember to click the "Set" button after you have inputted these values.

Also, you may move the current paging file to another partition. For more information, please refer to:

"HOW TO: Move the Paging File in Windows XP"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307886

Regarding the BSOD issue, please understand that Microsoft provides different support services which have different service levels and support boundaries. For this process crashes issue, it is necessary to debug the related crash dump files to locate the root cause. However, debugging is out of our Forum support boundary. I’d like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance, the support professionals there are better qualified to assist you.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS  

Hope it helps.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:13 AM
  • Thank you for the reply, but I had already done all of this. There is no hibernation, and no paging file, and the drive is cleaned. My entire installation is 1GB. Like I said, I have 3GB of free space, which is 75% of the drive and three times the amount of RAM. My guess is that I do not have one of the services installed that are required, but I do not know which one. Also, if someone knows how to force the protection to be enabled, that's probably what I am looking for. Thanks.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

WDP requires a minimum of 4GB *free space* in order to install. 

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Interesting...

Is there a way to make it use another hard drive's space for that? Or, does it have to be the system drive?

What I'm asking is that is it possible to make my XP installation think my SDHC card is an internal hard drive (I have that's 16gb) and make it use that space?

Hm.. what about fiddling with drivers, then shadow cloning my main hard drive onto the SDHC, enabling WDP there, and then shadow cloning it back?

I assume that even thought it *requires* 4 GB of space, it's not actually going to reserve all that.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:53 AM
  • It takes 50% of the free space (min 2gb (i.e. 4gb free) and max 40gb (i.e. 80+ gb free)) for the cache file, which must be on the same volume as Windows.  So, the cache file itself doesn't take 4gb, but it does require 4gb free so that it can take 50% of that to meet its minimum required size of 2gb.
    Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Monday, July 6, 2009 7:15 AM