Looking for some advice/knowledge RRS feed

• Question

• I am really looking for some advice as to features of Small Business Server, and I must admit that I am an extreme novice at this.  Our office is considering replacing its current server (2008) with a new one that will likely run Small Business Server 2011.  I am essentially looking to get the least expensive version that will support our needs.  We only need a few basic functions, the server needs to allow for a domain with 10-15 users, allow for a central repository for our files, and run exchange for our email.  I must be honest, I cannot comprehend what exactly SQL server does, or if we would even need it.  Also, how many CAL licenses do we need to purchase.  Sorry if this sounds very basic, but I am a novice to this.  Thanks.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:25 AM

Answers

• ???.  SBS 2011 DOES require CAL purchase if you are going to use it with more than 5 users or devices.  It comes with 5 CALs (Users or Devices or mix and match, your choice).  Now, beginning with SBS 2008, there is no mechanism to 'install' any additional CALs, but you need to purchase them if you have more than 5 users in your network accessing the SBS server.

Q. How many CALs are included with the SBS 2011 Standard Server?
    A. 5 CALs are included with the server license for SBS 2011 Standard regardless of the channel you
    acquired it in (OEM, FPP or Volume Licensing).

--
    Merv Porter
    =========================
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:28 AM
  • The standard edition of SBS 2011 has SQL Server 2008 R2 Express installed by default. It handles needs such as monitoring and should be running on the server. Full SQL server which you don't appear to need is only available as part of the Premium Add On.

Steve

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:01 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Hi:

Many of the most important things you need to know about SBS 2011 standard can be found in the build WIKI which can be found here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1709.sbs-2011-standard-build-info.aspx

Coming from Server 2008 Standard the most difficult thing that changes is that the program is highly and tightly scripted to be managed from the SBS Console, which is a set of wizards that do most of the work for you.

Please read through the WIKI and post back with any additional questions.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:45 AM

All replies

• Hello James

Please go through the following links -

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2010/12/13/windows-small-business-server-2011-standard-releases-to-manufacturing.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/gg985345.aspx

SBS 2011 supports up to 75 users. There is no need to purchase any CALs.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the same.

Regards

Akash

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:20 AM
  • Askash that is wrong about CALs for SBS 2011. They are required. 5 are included in the basic package and beyond that you do need more. They can be either user or device CALs.

Steve

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 5:19 AM
  • @Compukirk.

I think all you servers are SBS 2003. In SBS 2011 NO CALS ARE REQUIRED.

Did you ever purchased cals for SBS 2011 Stadard personally when you built a new server. Please don't confuse. He needs helps.

@James

"SBS 2011 Standard"  is not available much in the market and MS will/has stopped shipping since it has launched new OS for Small Business.

Please try to get one from the marker asap. Mentioned "SBS 2011 Standard" when you purchase one.

Thanks & Regards, Naga Santosh EPS(SBS)

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:15 AM
  • ???.  SBS 2011 DOES require CAL purchase if you are going to use it with more than 5 users or devices.  It comes with 5 CALs (Users or Devices or mix and match, your choice).  Now, beginning with SBS 2008, there is no mechanism to 'install' any additional CALs, but you need to purchase them if you have more than 5 users in your network accessing the SBS server.

Q. How many CALs are included with the SBS 2011 Standard Server?
    A. 5 CALs are included with the server license for SBS 2011 Standard regardless of the channel you
    acquired it in (OEM, FPP or Volume Licensing).

--
    Merv Porter
    =========================
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:28 AM
  • Naga see the reply from Merv. SBS 2011 does require CALs and for those clients with more than 5 users or devices they have purchased the required amount. You're the one confusing things.

Steve

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Okay, I think I understand the CAL issue now.  Now my other question, what is the purpose of SQL server, do I even need to be running it on our server?
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:00 PM
  • The standard edition of SBS 2011 has SQL Server 2008 R2 Express installed by default. It handles needs such as monitoring and should be running on the server. Full SQL server which you don't appear to need is only available as part of the Premium Add On.

Steve

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Hi:

Many of the most important things you need to know about SBS 2011 standard can be found in the build WIKI which can be found here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1709.sbs-2011-standard-build-info.aspx

Coming from Server 2008 Standard the most difficult thing that changes is that the program is highly and tightly scripted to be managed from the SBS Console, which is a set of wizards that do most of the work for you.

Please read through the WIKI and post back with any additional questions.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:45 AM
  • Hi

Lots of talk here so I will try and lay out

SBS2011 can handle upto 75 users - It comes with 5 CALS you need additional CALS for every other user or device, although this is just a paper certificate, there is no computer authentication which is where Akash made the mistake. While the server would work without CALS bought you are in breach of licensing. So if upto 15 users you would need 10 additional licenses.

SBS2011 includes good user management, a good backup facility, centralised file sharing and exchange as its main things for most users. It also has Sharepoint.

SBS2011 standard does not come with a full SQL license for the serve, just internals for sharepoint etc. The Premium addon allows SQL and other thigns, but that requires a second server. If you do not know where you would use SQL, odds are you don't need it and if you did, you could always add it later with the add on. The add on would require a second server, so not much issue there.

SQL server is a database server, allowing you to run databases to be used by applications

Thanks

Tris

• Proposed as answer by TristanMartin Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:38 PM