Could not access DHCP server in VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I got stuck in a connection problem with DHCP server in VM and hope someone could give me some thoughts on it. The set up of the test environment is as follows: Windows server 2003 Enterprise (evaluation ed.) SP1 installed under VMWare Workstation 6.5 on my laptop, and a PC with windows XP SP2. They are connected directly with a straight-through cable. My aim was to use remote desktop client on the PC to access the server in VM. I have already enabled DHCP & DNS server in W2k3, and I set up Ethernet connection in VM as "bridged:connect directly to the physical network" and everything went well yesterday. However, when I conducted the same test this morning, I found both the network adapter on my laptop and the PC could not get the IP address from DHCP server. I looked into the event log, noticing that the DHCP server were running properly. I tried to renew the IP address from my laptop using 'ipconfig/renew', but the command line prompted 'could not connect DHCP server, time out'. It didn't even work when I assign a static IP address to my laptop. The server was able to ping my laptop successfully in that case but, my laptop and remote PC could not found the server.

I haven't changed network settings since yesterday so I was really puzzled by such problem. Any idea for that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

this forum is specific to Microsoft Virtual Server. For help with VMWare Workstation, please visit the VMWare Forums.

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/

But, if you're directly connecting 2 physical computers, you need to use a cross-over cable, not a standard patch cable.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:20 PM
  • I am not sure if it is caused by the settings of VMWare. I will try to post my problem to the recommended forum. Thanks a lot.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:08 AM