homegroup best practice RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best practice for setting up a Homegroup?

Should it be created on an always on machine?

How easy is it to change the "owner" of a homegroup?

Alan Cameron

Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the owner is not online, we may not be able to join the homegroup.

As far as I know, we could not change the owner of a homegroup.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by arnavsharma Monday, June 1, 2015 10:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 7:49 AM
  • Thanks Yan for your input.

I was about to post a follow up with my experience which confirms what you say.

I had setup a homegroup on a VM and spread it's use to the other VMs and then thought about what would happen if the 'Owner' machine was restored from a backup or not available. So I experimented and found the following.

You cannot create another homegroup while the first is active.

You cannot change the 'Owner' even from the 'Owner' machine.

If you switch off the 'Owner' machine and wait some time you can then leave the homegroup and create another from another machine, obviously you have to leave the homegroup on the other machines and then join the new homegroup. Finally you can leave the homegroup on the original 'Owner' machine but all the other machines have to be either switched off or have been changed to the new homegroup.

It would seem that you cannot have two homegroups at the same time.

I therefore propose that the following information be distributed as an answer.

You can only have one homegroup in a network of private machines.

It is preferable to create the homegroup on a machine which is always on or the first machine switched on in a group of machines.

Alan Cameron

• Edited by AlanCam Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:59 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:02 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:59 AM

All replies

• This sould help : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows/homegroup-help#homegroup-start-to-finish=windows-81&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 25, 2015 6:06 AM
  • And http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/change-homegroup-settings

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 25, 2015 6:06 AM
  • Thanks you Arnav for the link.

I have viewed that set of instructions before and it does not answer the questions I posed.

Should it be created on an always-on machine?

How easy is it to change the "owner" of a homegroup?

Alan Cameron

Monday, May 25, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

If the owner is not online, we may not be able to join the homegroup.

As far as I know, we could not change the owner of a homegroup.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 7:49 AM
  • Thanks Yan for your input.

I was about to post a follow up with my experience which confirms what you say.

I had setup a homegroup on a VM and spread it's use to the other VMs and then thought about what would happen if the 'Owner' machine was restored from a backup or not available. So I experimented and found the following.

You cannot create another homegroup while the first is active.

You cannot change the 'Owner' even from the 'Owner' machine.

If you switch off the 'Owner' machine and wait some time you can then leave the homegroup and create another from another machine, obviously you have to leave the homegroup on the other machines and then join the new homegroup. Finally you can leave the homegroup on the original 'Owner' machine but all the other machines have to be either switched off or have been changed to the new homegroup.

It would seem that you cannot have two homegroups at the same time.

I therefore propose that the following information be distributed as an answer.

You can only have one homegroup in a network of private machines.

It is preferable to create the homegroup on a machine which is always on or the first machine switched on in a group of machines.

Alan Cameron

• Edited by AlanCam Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:59 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:02 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you are right, one computer can only join to one homegroup.

Regards,

Yan Li

Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you are right, one computer can only join to one homegroup.

Regards,

Yan Li

But you have omitted the most important thing there can only be one homegroup in a network of locally connected computers.

Remember homegroups are for home computers.

Alan Cameron

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:17 AM