none
Migrating Standalone 2 Win 2003 Ent DNS Servers to 2 New Windows 2012 R2 Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Does standalone mean not active directory integrated?

My 2 2003 servers are joined to our domain, but they host non-active directory integrated zones.

I am working on getting rid of our last 2 2003 servers, which have been humming along for a looong time. They need to go. I want to cutover/replace these servers with 2 2012 r2 servers, and just move the data/roles and IPs over to the replacement servers.

So, I found this article from MSFT migrating standalone DNS from 2003 to 2008r2, and this is an excellent walkthrough step by step and seems clean and simple process.

My question is, does this article work for 2012r2? Is there a comparable article for 2012r2? I havent found one.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd392269(v=ws.10).aspx

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:14 PM

Answers

• Hi iconoclast88,

>>Does standalone mean not active directory integrated?

Yes.

And I'm afraid I couldn’t find any official documents for migrating DNS from 2003 to 2012r2 .I suppose you could install DNS server role on Windows Server 2012r2, and add secondary zone on them. (Master server is the old 2003 DNS server) Open Properties of the zone on old DNS server, click Zone Transfers tab and set it to allow.

Once the zone transfer completed, change it from secondary to primary. Also change Name Servers to the new DNS server. Remove old servers and also clear their DNS records.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hi iconoclast88,

>>Does standalone mean not active directory integrated?

Yes.

And I'm afraid I couldn’t find any official documents for migrating DNS from 2003 to 2012r2 .I suppose you could install DNS server role on Windows Server 2012r2, and add secondary zone on them. (Master server is the old 2003 DNS server) Open Properties of the zone on old DNS server, click Zone Transfers tab and set it to allow.

Once the zone transfer completed, change it from secondary to primary. Also change Name Servers to the new DNS server. Remove old servers and also clear their DNS records.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:15 AM
  • Thanks Leo for the response.

Currently our 2 legacy servers, 1 is the primary and 1 is the secondary. I'd like to just to a quick swap per the instructions. I'll keep looking. 

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:58 PM