No panel resize handles with Aero enabled. RRS feed

• Question

• If I have Aero theme enabled, there are no handles to resize columns (names, sizes etc) in Windows Explorer. If I want to resize column width, I have to move a mouse over the place where the handles should be and watch the shape of the pointer change to dual headed arrow, then click a mouse to drag the border.

More important for me, there are no resize handles in other applications, such as Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 profiler. They are crucial there for normal use.

If I switch the Theme to "Classic", not only I have the classic explorer appearance with each column name inside its rectangle which can be easily resized, but the resize handle are back in other applications.

Is there a way to make the resize handles visible with Aero? I could not find any settings and all themes I downloaded have no handles as well. I like the new taskbar with its preview feature, but cannot work without the handles...

Thanks,
    Vlad
    • Edited by vyanov Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:59 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:55 PM

Answers

• The very faint lines between the titles of the columns. You don't see them? They're light blue and fade as they go down?
    • Marked as answer by vyanov Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:32 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:09 PM

All replies

• vyanov,

If by "handles" you mean the double bar which in the bottom-right corner of program windows - no, there are not present in Aero, and cannot be reenabled. I'm not familiar with Visual Studio 2010, but if, as you say, they are essential, I imagine that the software could be updated in a future release to emulate the old Windows GUI.
    -Alex
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:04 AM
  • vyanov,

I can see the handles in my Windows Explorer. They are very faint, but I can see them. If I hover over the column heading, a little drop down arrow appears that helps me figure out exactly where that edge is.
    You might need some newer drivers for your video card?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:56 AM
    Answerer
  • vyanov,

I can see the handles in my Windows Explorer. They are very faint, but I can see them. If I hover over the column heading, a little drop down arrow appears that helps me figure out exactly where that edge is.
    You might need some newer drivers for your video card?
    I can see a drop down "arrow" (just a triangle) when I hover over column headings (name, size etc) and I can see the pointer changing shape into a vertical bar with double headed horizontal arrow crossing it when I hover over edges between columns, but I cannot see the edges themselves at all, I can only guess where they are.

And in Visual Studio profiler they have the frame divided into many rectangular panes. This panes need to be resized all the time. In "Classic" theme the rectangles have visible boundaries  that can be used to drag to resize them. In all Aero themes I've tried the boundaries are invisible. I can find them "by touch" by hovering with a mouse, but it's very incovinient.

I don't think I have any driver problems - I have rather standard and tested hardware (Lenovo T61) and Windows Update brought the latest Nvidia driver. It just looks as some missing personalization option or the one I cannot find. I have a default Win7 installation

Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Can you see the handles in http://realityripple.com/Uploads/Pictures/Explorer.jpg ?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:59 AM
  • Can you see the handles in http://realityripple.com/Uploads/Pictures/Explorer.jpg ?
    No. I see 4 columns: name, date modified, type and size. In the classic theme each of these names is inside of a rectangle and one can grab vertical side of the rectangle to resize the column. In your image there is nothing between the columns, you have to hover with the mouse to find the boundary.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 6:31 PM
  • The very faint lines between the titles of the columns. You don't see them? They're light blue and fade as they go down?
    • Marked as answer by vyanov Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:32 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:09 PM

Wow! You have eagle eyes. I an IPS display and only after playing for some time with the contrast of my monitor (Dell 2209WA) I've managed to make them visible. It happens that the bars between columns (and in Visual Studio profiler) disappear when contrast is set to too high. Thanks.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Heh... Actually I can't read anything that's more than ten feet away, but having spent most of my artistic life drawing things pixel by pixel does make me notice things like that I suppose.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:55 PM