none
SBS 2011 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I have purchased SBS 2011 Server with Premium add on. I understand that the add on includes another licence.

Third party software provider wants to put their software on a server operating system without extras like Exchange or SQL.

Can/how to do this? I'm not worried if I'm not using all the extras purchased in the SBS version.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:05 PM

Answers

• Premium comes with three (or more) discs.  One is SBS, one is SQL, and one is 2008R2. 2008R2 is designed for a second server (or the parent and child on a Hyper-V setup).

Yes you can just run the 2008R2 disc that came with it, and just forget about the other discs. It's a bit weird, but there's no technical reason stopping you doing that, and I don't think there's any licensing reason either since you have the SBS product as well.

You've effectively bought a meal with a free drink and you're letting the meal go cold and just having the free drink.

Jim

• Marked as answer by Wambat Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:54 AM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:40 PM

All replies

• If you need to use the software *without* the "extras" like Exchange (why did you buy SBS?) then you've effectively got two choice:

1) Install the 2008R2 disc that came with Premium onto a second, separate server

or

2) Install the 2008R2 disc that came with Premium onto your first server, enable the Hyper-V role, then install two VMs, one being your SBS OS and your second being a 2008R2 OS that the third party can use.

Option 1 requires 2 servers. Option 2 requires one monster server.

Jim

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:24 PM
  • > If you need to use the software *without* the "extras" like Exchange (why did you buy SBS?)

Yes well ... Silly me. Software vendor didnt say the whole story till it was too late.

>2) Install the 2008R2 disc that came with Premium onto your first server, enable the Hyper-V role, then install two VMs, one being your SBS OS and your second being a 2008R2 OS that the third party can use.

Thus the reason for my post here. You say "Install the 2008R2 disc that came with Premium onto your first server".

Isn't that ALL I need to do? So, I can just run the Premium addon disk to install 2008R2?

• Edited by Wambat Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Premium comes with three (or more) discs.  One is SBS, one is SQL, and one is 2008R2. 2008R2 is designed for a second server (or the parent and child on a Hyper-V setup).

Yes you can just run the 2008R2 disc that came with it, and just forget about the other discs. It's a bit weird, but there's no technical reason stopping you doing that, and I don't think there's any licensing reason either since you have the SBS product as well.

You've effectively bought a meal with a free drink and you're letting the meal go cold and just having the free drink.

Jim

• Marked as answer by Wambat Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:54 AM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:40 PM