Anyway to Restrict Editing and Allow Users to Highlight/Bold? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone, 

I was wondering if there was a way that I could restrict editing on my 2013 MS Word document but allow users to highlight and bold the text. I have looked up many forums and have not found a thing! 

Thank you, 

Kimmi131

Monday, June 30, 2014 4:40 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, there is no way to apply true highlighting in a protected document. But note that you can assign a keyboard shortcut to apply your custom character style, which simplifies the task.

Also, character styles are applied on top of the current paragraph style, so you only need one. Hmm, if you need multiple highlighting colors, then you may have to create more styles, yes.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Monday, June 30, 2014 10:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kimmi131 Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:05 PM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 10:03 PM

All replies

• You can make use of format restrictions (Review tab | Restrict Editing). Make sure that the available set of styles includes a character style that applies bold and another character style that applies shading.

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:44 PM
  • The problem with this is that for highlighting I would have to make a highlight style for every single style that I have in the document. I also need multiple colors. Is there a simpler way to do this? I need highlighting and am not too concerned with bold text or shading. 
    Monday, June 30, 2014 8:03 PM
  • Unfortunately, there is no way to apply true highlighting in a protected document. But note that you can assign a keyboard shortcut to apply your custom character style, which simplifies the task.

Also, character styles are applied on top of the current paragraph style, so you only need one. Hmm, if you need multiple highlighting colors, then you may have to create more styles, yes.

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Monday, June 30, 2014 10:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kimmi131 Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:05 PM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 10:03 PM
  • Thank you! I will keep this in mind. I am happy that I now know instead of wasting my time looking for a non-existing answer. 
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Old thread, I know. However do you have a solution for when you have bold and italic applied (whether manually or via a character style) and then want to highlight a paragraph? If you use the character style with background shading, it then overrides any other character attributes.

I've wanted to create locked templates ever since I started doing layout in Word, however this highlighting issue comes up every time. People love to highlight while things are in draft!

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 11:04 PM
  • 3-1/2 years later and Word is the same as it was in 2003 except that there are more ways to protect a document.

Styles are unchanged in this respect. Changing them to allow what you want would likely require close to a complete rewrite. You would need to make some extra nuanced character styles and depend on people to properly apply them.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:56 AM
  • Actually my preferred solution would be to allow highlight to be used in a protected document! It'd be nice if settings for protection were more granular and you could enable certain direct formatting, rather than a blanket on/off.
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:19 AM