none
Power Query import data error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

As Power Query does not support ODBC I tried direct connect to DB via menu
    From Database/From MySQL Database.

I passed authorization and my query was being running. 
    But after all records were downloaded I just got error 
    'SELECT command denied to user '****'@'x.x.x.x' for table 'bogus_table' and 
    as result PQ query was failed.

What's interesting is that my original query was 'SELECT id FROM b_user'. 
    I do NOT query any 'bogus_table'.

What does all that mean?

-- Paul

• Edited by Paul Levchuk Monday, June 30, 2014 8:30 PM
    • Moved by Elvis Long Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:22 AM Power Query issue
    Monday, June 30, 2014 8:16 PM

Answers

• This appears to be a bug in the MySQL ADO.NET driver. Under some circumstances, when you close the DbDataReader, the MySQL driver will attempt to run the query “SELECT * FROM bogus_table LIMIT 0”. It attempts to trap the error by checking for error number 1146 (table not found), but in this case it’s getting a different exception – probably error number 1142 (select permission denied).

You should
    1) Report the bug to MySQL.
    2) Delete the table named bogus_table, if it’s not actually needed.
    3) Consider renaming the table named bogus_table if it is needed, or granting select permission to all users.

We're sorry you had to run into this, but even if we could mitigate this MySQL bug in Power Query code, it would take nearly two months for you to get the updated version. Fixing the local data is likely the best approach.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue was more related to Power Query, I moved this thread to that forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:25 AM
  • Does anyone have a suggestion for Paul?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:40 PM
    Owner
  • Can you enable tracing and send us the logs?

To enable tracing find this registry key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Power Query for Excel] and set TracingEnabled = 1 (REG_DWORD). Log files will be saved under the path %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Power Query\Traces, and separate log files are written for the code running in Excel itself and for the code running in the helper process. The trace files are quite verbose, so you'll want to turn them off as soon as you have the information you need.

To send the logs, the best thing to do is to "Send a Frown" from the workbook containing the query in question, and attach the logs to the email that's generated.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:56 AM
  • This appears to be a bug in the MySQL ADO.NET driver. Under some circumstances, when you close the DbDataReader, the MySQL driver will attempt to run the query “SELECT * FROM bogus_table LIMIT 0”. It attempts to trap the error by checking for error number 1146 (table not found), but in this case it’s getting a different exception – probably error number 1142 (select permission denied).

You should
    1) Report the bug to MySQL.
    2) Delete the table named bogus_table, if it’s not actually needed.
    3) Consider renaming the table named bogus_table if it is needed, or granting select permission to all users.

We're sorry you had to run into this, but even if we could mitigate this MySQL bug in Power Query code, it would take nearly two months for you to get the updated version. Fixing the local data is likely the best approach.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:12 PM
  • Hi Curt,

Thanks for clear answer. 

Do you still waiting for my traces? If is is necessary, I can generate them and send you.

-- Paul

Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:10 AM
  • If the answer is satisfactory, then we don't need any traces.
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:06 PM
  • I had the same problem and I fixed, running this scripts against server

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS bogus_table;
    CREATE TABLE bogus_table (id INT(10) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY);
    INSERT INTO bogus_table VALUES (1), (2), (3);

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 12:36 PM