Junk Mail Reduction Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a client who runs Exchange 2003 SP2 and they are constantly receiving junk mails. Some days these are coming through in "bucket loads" and other days not so many.

What I have done on the server is:

Under Message Delivery Properties I selected the sender filtering tab and added the domains or e-mail addresses of people from whom they don't want to receive mail. (E.g. junkmail.com & blah@spmmers.com)

In addition to that I have (under the connection filtering tab) added 3 sever in the block list service configuration against which our server is to check whether the domain is on the RBL and if so to refuse the mail.

Under this same tab I have selected the deny button and added the IP addresses of dubious domains from which no e-mail should be accepted.

Under default SMTP Virtual Server Properties I have ticked the Apply Recipient Filter & Apply Intelligent Message Filter.

After any changes I restart the SMTP service on the server to make sure the changes take immediate effect.

Is there any other changes I can make to help reduce the incoming junk mail? Or perhaps additional filtering software I can install/apply to help reduce this?

Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:45 AM

Answers

• Seriously, you should subscribe to a cloud-based antispam service or buy a device like those made by Barracuda Networks.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:02 AM