Moniter Crash in XP RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I started encountering problems with my gaming. Namely, every time I play a certain high res game (and sometimes not) my screen will shut down, sleep for two seconds and come back, blank. I used to get a blue screen of death telling me something like "file ativmg.2 has created an infinite loop and needs to shut down."
    Now it just blanks out and doesn't come back.
    Oddly, this only happens for certain games, primarily 1st Person games like Left 4 Dead and Mount & Blade. It doesn't happen on Sins of a Solar Empire and Dawn of War.

Windows:                Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 3
    Memory (RAM):           2048 MB
    CPU Info:               Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz
    Sound card:             Realtek HD Audio output
    Display Adapters:       Radeon X1900 Series | Radeon X1900 Series Secondary | RDPDD Chained DD
    Monitors:                1
    Screen Resolution:      1600 X 1200 - 32 bit
    CD / DVD Drives:        D: SONY    DVD-ROM DDU1612  | E: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-3500AG | G: QT6510W
    Motherboard:            Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 965P-DS3

I'm using the newest 9.2 CCC Drivers for my video card.                
    My monitor is simply enumerated as a Plug and Play 20".

I'll provide whatever other information I left out.
    Regards.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 8:24 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Generally, most game manufacturers provided their compatibility information with operating system, display adapter, and the related settings.

Considering the issue only occurs when playing certain games, it is recommend to firstly visit the game manufacturer websites to check whether there are any compatibility issues between the game and Windows XP or X1900, and whether there are new patches for the games. You can also check whether other customers also encounter similar issues with this game and X1900 from the games’ forums if exist. Meanwhile, you can also go to the games’ manufactures for technical support.

Besides, we can also check the ATI display adapter related settings as well. Have you ever customized some display related settings before? If so, please restore them. You can also contact ATI to check if it is a known issue:

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

It is Windows Vista forum here, if you need help in the future, it will be better to go to the Windows XP Forum:

Windows XP Forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/threads/

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:01 AM