Auto resolve (not close) inactive incidents RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

There are a lot of solutions on how to auto close an incident after it is resolved, however i have not been able to find any info on how i can automatically resolve an incident that has had a status of pending user feedback for let's say 5 days. How could one accomplish this?

Friday, March 14, 2014 1:32 PM

Answers

• the hard part would be how to tell how long it's been in that state. there isn't a time property that record when it was set to pending, like there is when it's set to resolved.

if there was a date, (i.e. you added a property to the class and form, and trained your analysts to record it) then you could write a custom workflow that would find all incidents that are pending, filter those that have that date of more then 5 days ago, and set their status to resolved. you'd probably want to also set the Resolved By User relationship and the resolved data properties while you were at it. 

as an alternative, considering setting up a nightly notification to the affected user for all tickets that are pending. something along the lines of "We want to help, but we're waiting on your input!".  that way, users would be continually notified until they either 1) provided the info and moved the process forward or 2) got sick of being email and resolved the ticket on their own, 

• Proposed as answer by Marat Kuanyshev Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by i686 Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:26 PM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks. Ok, custom workflow will be my solution of choice. I have SMLets installed on my scsm mgmt server, so i have created a custom workflow and added a short ps script to run in that workflow.

I also found that the builtin Active/Pending status does not work using smlets, so i created another status Waiting that was not a child of Active. Then i can run Get-SCSMIncident -Status Waiting -InactiveFor 5.0:0:0 | Set-SCSMIncident -Status Resolved

It seemes i can still use the -InactiveFor switch as the incidents have been in the status Waiting for more than 5 days (There is a lastModified timestamp when it was set to Waiting aswel)

• Edited by i686 Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:32 PM
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:25 PM

All replies

• the hard part would be how to tell how long it's been in that state. there isn't a time property that record when it was set to pending, like there is when it's set to resolved.

if there was a date, (i.e. you added a property to the class and form, and trained your analysts to record it) then you could write a custom workflow that would find all incidents that are pending, filter those that have that date of more then 5 days ago, and set their status to resolved. you'd probably want to also set the Resolved By User relationship and the resolved data properties while you were at it. 

as an alternative, considering setting up a nightly notification to the affected user for all tickets that are pending. something along the lines of "We want to help, but we're waiting on your input!".  that way, users would be continually notified until they either 1) provided the info and moved the process forward or 2) got sick of being email and resolved the ticket on their own, 

• Proposed as answer by Marat Kuanyshev Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:31 AM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks. Ok, custom workflow will be my solution of choice. I have SMLets installed on my scsm mgmt server, so i have created a custom workflow and added a short ps script to run in that workflow.

I also found that the builtin Active/Pending status does not work using smlets, so i created another status Waiting that was not a child of Active. Then i can run Get-SCSMIncident -Status Waiting -InactiveFor 5.0:0:0 | Set-SCSMIncident -Status Resolved

It seemes i can still use the -InactiveFor switch as the incidents have been in the status Waiting for more than 5 days (There is a lastModified timestamp when it was set to Waiting aswel)

• Edited by i686 Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:32 PM
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:25 PM