Why can't I see some of my users in SteadyState? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have four users showing in User Accounts, all administrators, 3 password protected, one not password protected.

Only two show under SteadyState, two of the password protected users.

How can I get the other two to show under SteadyState so I can set their limits.

It appears that the users that don't show under SteadyState are subject to Disk Protection.  When I shut off the computer while I'm in any one of the users that don't show under SteadyState, I get the option to commit changes from that session or not to commit. 

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

SteadyState will not list the built-in administrator account ("Administrator"), nor will it show the built-in guest account ("Guest").  It will also filter out some accounts listed under this registry key:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
    "SomeAccountName"=DWORD:0

If an account listed here has a value of 0, it is disabled and will not be shown by SteadyState.  If an account listed here has a value of 65536, then any account whose name begins with this string will not be shown by SteadyState.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, February 6, 2009 2:22 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SteadyState only shows users belonging to the group "Users".

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:51 PM
  •  

Is there a way that I can make the users that don't show up because they are not in the group "Users", to be in the group "Users" and thus show up in Steadystate?
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

Sure, just do this:  start > run > lusrmgr.msc.  Double-click on the "Groups" folder and then on the group "Users".  You can add the missing accounts to the group here.

Thanks
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Thank you. 

However. . .

the two accounts that are not showing are members of the Users group.

What to do?

Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

SteadyState will not list the built-in administrator account ("Administrator"), nor will it show the built-in guest account ("Guest").  It will also filter out some accounts listed under this registry key:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
    "SomeAccountName"=DWORD:0

If an account listed here has a value of 0, it is disabled and will not be shown by SteadyState.  If an account listed here has a value of 65536, then any account whose name begins with this string will not be shown by SteadyState.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, February 6, 2009 2:22 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 3:15 AM
  •  

So to make an account visable, I could change the valued from 65536 to 1?

Any danger this will screw something up?

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

I'd be leery about changing that.  I suspect whatever program added that did so for a reason.  Can you rename the affected account(s) or create new ones with different names that don't match that prefix?

Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:24 AM