Vista start menu picture link is dead RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I noticed the link to my pictures is dead in the Vista start menu.  Music and Documents work fine and I can change link location, etc. but when I right click the Pictures icon, it only gives me copy, rename or properties.  I click on properties and it gives a blank uneditable description of the folder.  Any ideas?  FYI, I did previously change the link location for this to reflect an external hard drive.

Thanks!
    Friday, January 18, 2008 3:58 PM

All replies

• I had this problem too. I resolved it by editing the registry. There are pointers in there which still pointed to my old, non-existent E:\Documents   As this no longer existed the links had no valid properties and were displaying as empty. I suspect this is the only solution.

Obviously the standard Don't play with your registry unless you know what you're doing warnings precede what I now suggest:

1) use REGEDIT

2) do a find for "Pictures".

-- Whenever you come across a reference to an invalid location Modify it to point to the correct location.

3) once you know what the invalid location is (in my case this was E:\ ) consider doing a find and modify for all occurrences. Obviously the more things you change the more chance of screwing it.

4) close off REGEDIT.

5) Try the Start menu, and if still not working reboot to refresh the registry.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:07 AM
  • Rt click on the start menu Pictures link > Properties > Location > Put C:\Users\Owner\Pictures where Owner is User Name > Apply > OK.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:53 PM
  • When the link is dead like this your solution will not work I'm afraid - Right clicking the link and clicking properties will show no tabs and a completely empty file. In my case I'd gone to university and lost the NAS "Z" drive from home that I had stored Music and Pictures on.

Regedit seems the best option.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Hey,

I had the same problem by now you have probably fixed it nut just in case other people come across the smae issue I found this to be the best step by step out there.

" This happens if the corresponding shell folder was relocated earlier and is pointing to an invalid location. For instance, if an user relocates the Documents folder to a removable hard drive and then disconnects the removable hard drive at a later stage, this problem is seen. If you wish to reset the shell folder paths to the default location, use the following steps:

• Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER
    • Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

• Double-click the registry value associated with the shell folder.
    • Set its value data accordingly.

For example, to reset the Documents folder path, double-click Personal and set its data to %USERPROFILE%\Documents

Importantly, make sure that the Value type is REG_EXPAND_SZ , as we're using an expandable string (%userprofile% ) in the Value data. If the value is already set as REG_SZ , delete it and create a new value of the correct type.

NOTE:   The default value data for various shell folders are listed in article How to move the special folders in Windows Vista (See Method 2 in the linked page.)
    • Exit the Registry Editor."
    Automate: To reset the shell folder paths for Music/Documents/Pictures/Videos folders in Windows Vista, you may use the REG file reset_music_pictures_docs_path.reg . (http://www.winhelponline.com/fixes/reset_music_pictures_docs_path.reg) Download and save the file to the Desktop. Right-click on the file and choose Merge .

This should open a page of text, just hit file, save as, and save to your desktop and right click it and choose merge.

Source:http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/180/1/Nothing-happens-when-you-click-on-a-shell-folder-link-in-the-Windows-Vista-Start-menu.html
    • Proposed as answer by Henry987 Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:10 PM
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Hiyo,

I know this is a hella old thread, but you just saved my ____.

Cheers!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Automate

^^^^^^^

Worked GREAT for me :) Thanks a bunch :)

Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:11 PM