blkvsc, storvsc, netvsc RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have problems with the Linux IC, which is integrated into the kernel (i mean the staging drivers, marked az v3.1). I know this is not really supported by MS, but probably related to it.

First, anyone have a kernel config-file with the 'must-have' options for Hyper-V linux guests? (Seriously, i frikkin googled the whole internet, and only found tips which are years old!) I'm asking this because there are some obvious conflict with other drivers in the kernel (libata, ata_piix). However, SCSI subsystem must be enabled to compile the hv-drivers.

Finally, i got it working...kind of. I completely removed the libata/ata drivers from kernel. My problems are:

- the synthetic drivers doesn't detect the virtual DVD-drive (at least not on IDE)

- strangely, the speed-benefit only appears to be working on the boot-hdd.

Test:

'hdparm -t /dev/hda' results in 600-700 MByte/sec. This is in-par with xen-guest.

'hdparm -t /dev/hdb' results in 100 MByte/sec. This is the speed of the libata drivers! However, i don't have them...only synthetic drivers.

'hdparm -t /dev/sda' ... 100 MByte/sec.

My question is: anyone tested the speeds on Suse? Can someone test it? I'm really courious about the speeds with MS drivers.

thank you

Rav

• Edited by Ravine_hu Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:43 PM

Answers

• Yay! Looks like the latest 2.6.39-rc3 kernel fixed the stability problem with the netvsc! Both my machine runs stable with the synthetic drivers, i couldn't make it crash.

I hope they won't break it in the final kernel.  Even the legacy drivers were unstable with the rc2.

Monday, April 18, 2011 10:40 PM

All replies

• I just tried the new 2.6.39-rc2 kernel. No change :(

Even the netvsc is bad: when i make an ftp-connection and start to download big files, it starts at 54MByte/sec speed, but seconds later it dies. I have to 'turn off' the vm, coz no ssh connection is possible, but ping works.

The LIC 2.1 only compiles on 2.6.18 kernel? That's pretty outdated :(

The hyper-v host keeps saying this:

A storage device in 'linux' loaded but has a different version from the server. Server version 4.2 Client version 2.0 (Virtual machine ID 8FE70F3B-4032-479F-AAD9-834999FA21BF). The device will work, but this is an unsupported configuration. This means that technical support will not be provided until this problem is resolved. To fix this problem, upgrade the integration services. To upgrade, connect to the virtual machine and select Insert Integration Services Setup Disk from the Action menu.

And there is no linux drivers in that iso :( The host expects the 2.1, or that is too old for this too?

thx

Rav

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Yay! Looks like the latest 2.6.39-rc3 kernel fixed the stability problem with the netvsc! Both my machine runs stable with the synthetic drivers, i couldn't make it crash.

I hope they won't break it in the final kernel.  Even the legacy drivers were unstable with the rc2.

Monday, April 18, 2011 10:40 PM