Why, when I save a document, close and then re-open it, my Styles in the document disappear? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I created a docx and then set the Quick Style Set to "Word 2010". I also customised the "Heading 1" style to include a preceding Page Break. The document is now looking as good as I want it. Then, I save it. All OK.

Problem is that when I re-open the same document (less than a minute later) the document is opened without the Style Set. The document is not formatted the same as when I opened it. The preceding Page Breaks are gone and the nice blue writing is turned to the horrid formats I had previously.

What's worse is that my document now has lost its Normal formatting! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

I am fed up of battling with Word 2010. I am fed up of Microsoft making my life harder by making me work on my formatting! Why does making a document take 1 day to write and 2 days to format?

Does anyone know what is going wrong and why Word is being stupid?

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

• Edited by QuietLeni Monday, January 14, 2013 5:03 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 4:42 PM

Answers

• See if “Automatically update document styles” is selected in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box. If it is, clear the option. Then reapply the style set.

To display the dialog box, click the Document Template button on the Developer tab, which, in turn, can be displayed by selecting “Developer” at File tab | Options | Customize Ribbon.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by QuietLeni Monday, January 14, 2013 10:16 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 7:49 PM

All replies

• See if “Automatically update document styles” is selected in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box. If it is, clear the option. Then reapply the style set.

To display the dialog box, click the Document Template button on the Developer tab, which, in turn, can be displayed by selecting “Developer” at File tab | Options | Customize Ribbon.

• Marked as answer by QuietLeni Monday, January 14, 2013 10:16 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Stephan,

Yes, that seems to have done it!

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

Why can't Microsoft STOP developing software and START fixing software?

Monday, January 14, 2013 10:16 PM
  • I’m glad I could help!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:25 AM