none
Tasks linked, no automatic update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently working on an ERP project, my planning is based on MS Project Server.

Most of my tasks are managed in manual, i don't have latitude to change dates so i will ask for more resources. I have a problem when a task is linked to another, there is no automatic update when i modify the dates of the first one. So i need delete and specify again the task number.

Any idea ?

Regards

Saturday, July 4, 2015 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Antoine,

It is normal for manual tasks that they don't get updated automatically based on dependencies. You have to click on the "respect links" icon in the task tab of the ribbon.

That being said, I'd advice to use auto scheduled tasks, evenif your project is date driven, Project can handle it, it is designed to do so.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Saturday, July 4, 2015 9:04 PM
  • Once you have finished broad brush painting early in your planning, no task should ever be in manual mode if you expect to determine accurate resources required. In manual mode you might as well just paint some squares in Excel (after all, that's who the manual mode was created for, Excel users!)

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Saturday, July 4, 2015 10:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for yours answers.

Indeed, right know it's like a XLS, but i have some fixed task, like dtailed design phase or client meeting, how can i be sure project won't modify these dates ?

Regards

Monday, July 6, 2015 7:20 AM
  • If you do not want Project to move some tasks, you could use constraints such as "must finish on". That being said, be careful using those constraints since it could trigger warning messages if the predecessors are moving. We always advice to use them as less as possible, only when it corresponds to a relevant situation.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, July 6, 2015 7:45 AM