System Center 2012 Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• If I wanted to use System Center 2012 on unlimited OSEs running on a two-node Hyper-V cluster (2x CPUs/phys. svr).....would I need two System Center 2012 Datacenter Edition licenses?  More aptly do you need a System Center license for each node in your Hyper-V cluster?  Because those are considered the endpoints right?  And then you can manage as many OSE as you want since it's Datacenter Ed.?  Just checking to make sure.  That would mean it's about 10k (retail) to fully license a Hyper-V node, at least if you want to get the most out of the hardware. -M

Friday, June 8, 2012 8:55 PM

Answers

• Determining the Number of Licenses Needed

Server MLs are required for managed devices that run server Operating System Environments (OSEs). Licenses are processor-based, with each license covering up to two physical processors. The number of Server MLs required for each managed server is determined by the number of physical processor in the server for Datacenter Edition and either number of physical processors in the server or number of OSEs being managed for Standard Edition (whichever is greater). If you choose the Standard Server ML, you can add more licenses to a server to manage a greater number of virtual OSEs

• Proposed as answer by Graham Davies Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by I-Sites_admin Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:46 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 1:49 AM