none
DPM tries to backup VM replica RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

DPM 2012 R2. Have some Hyper-V server managed by VMM 2012 R2 one of the servers is VM's replication destination server there is no DPM agent on this server. Other Hyper-V servers have DPM agent on them. DPM is configured to communicate with VMM for continous backup during live migration. There is no clustering involved.

DPM keeps some backups work just fine, but some VMs DPM by himself starts to backing up from replicas server. And because there is no DPM agent on this server backup job fails.

If i install DPM agent on this server it takes a backup of replica, but this scenario is not supported by DPM. 

If i leave installed DPM agent on replicas server, but disable it - backup job fails.

Even if i uninstall VMM agent from replicas server DPM keeps trying to make backup from that server. 

It looks like i big bug in DPM.

But i need to find solution fast. Maybe there is a way to modify something in DPM's database, that it started to backing up from correct server?

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:41 AM

All replies

• As i can understand you use Hyper-V (primary replica) and Hyper-V (secondary replica) with feature Hyper-V Replica.

"There is no clustering involved."

Do you get Live migration manual?

In my practise:

1) Install DPM agent to all Hyper-V server (HOST)

2) Protect ACTIVE VM (NOT replica)

3) If you MANUAL run switch replica or live migration VM you MUST manual switch DPM protecting VM from one to another Hyper-V server (host)

If you want automate you can use Powershell script OR Orchestartor.

Have a nice day !!!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:08 AM
  • I don't use secondary replica. Live migration works as expected (shared nothing live migration).

There lets say there is two Hyper-V servers. Nr1 is with active VM's No2 is with replicated VMs. VMM agent is installed on both. But DPM agent is installed only on the first Hyper-V

I configure DPM protection of active VM in DPM, selecting it from Nr1 Hyper-V. First backup goes well. I leave everything for the scheduled backup. And scheduled backup fails with error that there is no DPM agent installed on the server (hyper-v No2). and if i install DPM agent on the hyper-v No2 - as scheduled backup job runs, it copies data from hyper-v No2, but not as it was added while creating protection group.

everything is working fine if i don't install VMM agent on hyper-v No2 server. 

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:33 AM