How can I only give BT read-only access to a folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have certain critical folders that I do not want BT to be able to write to. BT should only read and pickup a file from this folder, but from all of my setup experience the actual BT user must have FULL rights (Windows) to any receive location (dangerous). Is there any way I can change these permissions?
    Friday, February 3, 2012 4:28 PM

Answers

• But how the BT File adapter delete message after consuming if it has only read permissions? It always delete it, that how it works.

If you want to save the original files, create additional Send File port (with subscription(Filter) to your Receive Port name). Consumed files would be moved to this Send Port folder.

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalkien: Advanced Questions: have fun - test your knowledge
    Friday, February 3, 2012 4:56 PM
  • The account specified for the receive handler host instance for FILE adapter should have the read and write permissions to the specified folder, so you have to provide these permission to make the FILE adapter work.
    Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitbiztalk.blogspot.com)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 4:35 PM

All replies

• The account specified for the receive handler host instance for FILE adapter should have the read and write permissions to the specified folder, so you have to provide these permission to make the FILE adapter work.
    Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitbiztalk.blogspot.com)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 4:35 PM
  • But how the BT File adapter delete message after consuming if it has only read permissions? It always delete it, that how it works.

If you want to save the original files, create additional Send File port (with subscription(Filter) to your Receive Port name). Consumed files would be moved to this Send Port folder.

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalkien: Advanced Questions: have fun - test your knowledge
    Friday, February 3, 2012 4:56 PM
  • You don't need to grant BizTalk full permissions, but you do need to grant it the ability to read and write to a folder.

The advanced security settings allow you to apply a scope to a folder, so if you have sub-folders you don't want BizTalk having access to (not that it is known for it's tendency to peak elsewhere).  BizTalk will need to be able to list files in a directory, read file data (and permissions), and delete files.  It may also need permission to create files depending on how you have the receive adapter configured.

All this said, I'm not sure what you think is so dangerous.

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly.
    Because I get points for it which gives my life purpose (also, it helps other people find answers quickly)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Read and Write permissions not enough. There should be permissions to Delete files.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Please refer to the wiki BizTalk File Adapter: Permission Issue/ Workaround for information on the permission required for FILE adapter.

Saturday, February 4, 2012 4:40 PM