Injecting drivers as boot critical. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Technet,

Windows 10, Winpe, ADK All latest public version.

I was thinking since sysprepd images to hardrives are self contained installers, why not apply this to iscsi volumes?

I am aware of the process to inject drivers to offline volumes but I am not sure how to force network drivers to boot critical startup type like the windows setup does when an iscsi volume is detected.

I already have a process for accomplishing diskless iscsi clients however it is ineffecient. It involves booting to winpe first then running setup using my sysprep.wim from samba, installing back to the iscsi target. Therefore every diskless client uses a full 16gb. If I can inject the network driver settings that get applied during setup to an offline sysprep'd image I can save a ton of server space by having a sysprep'd master image and just a differencing snapshot per diskless client.

If there is another way I'm not aware of like a function of setup that does just the driver portion without recopying the entire wim image during setup? please let me know.

I've been studying this rather undocumented command that appears to be invoked by setup when iscsi volume is selected as installation target.

dism.exe /Image:C:\ /Add-NetAdapter /HostAdapter:{76A614E4-1167-4C66-89B9-2A76C663C547} /BootDriver:ms_tcpip /BootDriver:ms_tcpip6

I can manually get those paramaters by wmic nic get guid,servicename, . But when I try it reboots to inaccessible boot device. So I am still missing some part of setup. Or perhaps the winpe guid for the network card is not compatible with the offline installation registry due to mismatch? Pure guess there.

About setup.exe process for windows 10, is there a breakdown reference of the commands performed against target storage?

Or, is there a way to perform the early driver portion of setup that builds the driver hive? I really need to see the different paths setup takes for local storage install vs iscsi install. References appreciated.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 4:36 AM