How can I force the Onscreen keyboard to appear before a user log son to Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to setup a PC running Win7 x86 without a physical keyboard or mouse, but using a touchscreen instead. So I need a onscreen keyboard (osk.exe) running in order to enter a password for user logon.

I tried to open gpedit.msc, and created a startup script (batch file) that is supposed to run osk.exe. The batchfile works when I doubleclick it, but it does not run when the system starts, at least it does not display the onscreen keyboard after starting the computer.

What steps do I have to take for the OSK to appear automatically before a user logs on to Windows 7?
    Friday, February 10, 2012 7:52 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

After testing on my machine, that solution seems not apply for Windows 7 anymore. I also test to create a task scheduler to run the script at startup, still failed.

This function to force show on screen keyboard at logon seem disable by Microsoft for some security reason.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Swapnil99pro Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, February 20, 2012 7:53 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:57 AM

All replies

• Well, on the user login screen, near the bottom left area, there would be button with the following icon-

Click on the button. Wait for some time. Now select the checkbox for the Onscreen keyboard option and click OK.

That should now open the Onscreen keyboard automatically every time you use the login screen - but I haven't personally tested whether the setting is saved permanenetly or not.

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:49 PM
  •  

You can try to create a script to run osk.exe, then put the script to Local Croup Policy Editor\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts(Startup/Shutdown)\Startup

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:14 AM
  • leo, thanks for your answer, have you tried this solution, and does it work for you? When I try it, I can make a startup script run, but the OSK will not appear at all, it looks like it does not have the right to interact with the desktop, or I am doing something completely wrong.

Could you please confirm that this actually works on Win7? Thanks alot.

@ Swapnil99pro: of course I know that, but I do not want to have the user press that button everytime he logs on, sorry I thought this was obvious.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:17 AM
  •  

Hi,

After testing on my machine, that solution seems not apply for Windows 7 anymore. I also test to create a task scheduler to run the script at startup, still failed.

This function to force show on screen keyboard at logon seem disable by Microsoft for some security reason.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

• Proposed as answer by Swapnil99pro Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, February 20, 2012 7:53 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:57 AM