none
Hyper-V 2012 R2 virtual fiber channel problem

Question

• I'm using Hyper-V 2012 R2 failover clustering with 8 nodes and Hitachi SAN disk system. I'm using also virtual FC and FC disks inside few virtual machines.

And only in one of the virtual machine on which I'm using vFC I have problem.

In the moment when this virtual machine is starting I receive its vFC disks on Hyper-V host. So when the VM is started I can see the same disks in Hyper-V host and this VM.

I already checked our SAN zoning and "Lun masking" on disk system and everything is configured well.

Any ideas?

Regards, Simona

Friday, April 7, 2017 8:48 AM

All replies

• "I already checked our SAN zoning and "Lun masking" on disk system and everything is configured well."

Re-check your zoning and masking.  The only way the host and the VM can see the same LUN is if each is zoned/masked to see that LUN.  They should not be configured that way.

tim

Friday, April 7, 2017 12:52 PM
  • I already checked zoning and masking for a few times and configuration is ok. 

Strange is that when I start VM I recieve its disks on Hyper-V host. And when I stop this VM the disk are deleted from host. 

If zoning and masking where involved then I would see this disks on host all the time....

• Edited by Simonaa Saturday, April 8, 2017 10:23 AM
    Saturday, April 8, 2017 5:55 AM
  • Hi,

you mentioned you have a cluster, does that show up in the same way on every node in your 8 node cluster?
    if you move the VM to an other Cluster Node same behavior?

i configured a few setups and the tricky point on vFC is the whole chain needs to support NPIV and it need to be configured correct, that could be also a point to check.

saw a few non correct working HP branded Qlogic Driver and FC HBA with a not supported FW + NPIV not enabled.

never saw your problem but sounds a bit like NPIV is not working nicely, so have a look on the support matrix of the used components just in case you did not do that already from SAN over SAN Switches down to FW and driver level plus settings in HBA Bios/Driver.

and do not forget to zone both WWPN Set A and B, was what most customer i help forgot, then Livemigration was not working correct.

attached the links to the 2 sources i know, there was also an Hotfix for vFC. KB2894032 i guess it was

if nothing helps and all is green from your point of view then the only next option is opening a Support Case with Microsoft and your SAN Vendor so they can have a look together, called Cooperative Support, once you opened a ticket on both side they can use kind of direct line if you have contracts for both sides.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/privatecloud/archive/2013/07/23/hyper-v-virtual-fibre-channel-design-guide.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18698.hyper-v-virtual-fibre-channel-troubleshooting-guide.aspx

Saturday, April 8, 2017 2:19 PM
  • I found workaround for this...

I found that Hyper-V host was able to see VM's disks only by one vFC adapter.

So I deactivated zone for VM and activated this zone back.

After that disks were removed from host.

So, this is really strange behavior... I really need to check support matrix from storage to fc card...

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:15 AM
  • Just for information...

I checked support matrix for our whole configuration (disk system, SAN directors and server HBA's) and we are using supported components.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:43 AM