none
Can i establish ISC (Inter system Communication) between Microfocus and IBM Mianframes using HIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

Can i connect Microfocus Platform with IBM Mainframes CICS using HIS. are their any good pointer to understand the whole things

Regards

Jagdish

Thanks and Regards Jagdish
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Jagdish

I don't think I can give you the help you are seeking. Your request is well beyond the scope of configuring and using Microsoft HIS. It's more like, "how do I design a distributed CICS application to read VSAM files on one system, and return the data to my CICS application on another system?". That's a big question. There are many possible solutions; and a forum discussion is not the best way to consider them all.

You'd probably want to work closely with a more experienced colleague and/or mentor in your own workplace, to get a solid grounding in the various technologies.

A CICS application can read a VSAM file by using an EXEC CICS READ DATASET command. It is difficult to access a VSAM file directly across the network from another system, so you'd likely want a CICS app reading the VSAM file locally, on the same system as the file. If the VSAM file is on the Micro Focus server, create and run a CICS app there - on Micro Focus Server - to read the file. Then pass the data back to the mainframe CICS application, using some form of CICS-to-CICS communication. Other solutions are also possible.  

HIS is just the network gateway between the two systems, if they communicate using SNA. As I mentioned, you could perform the same operation over TCP/IP, and HIS would not be needed at all.

Hope it helps

Andrew

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Hi Jagdish,

I have replied to your email.

Regards

Andrew

• Marked as answer by Cheeta LM Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Cheeta LM Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cheeta LM Monday, December 27, 2010 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Jagdish

HIS might be useful in your situation; but there isn't enough detail in your question to say for sure.  Micro Focus make many different products.  Which particular Micro Focus software you using?  It sounds like you might be using Micro Focus Server Enterprise Edition?  If so, you can use HIS to connect the Micro Focus CICS Option on Windows, to CICS on the host.  This is an APPC connection, and it can be used for CICS DPL, function shipping and transaction routing.

ISC between CICS regions on the mainframe can run over LU 6.1 or LU 6.2. LU6.1 is only available on real IBM mainframes. No SNA gateway product from any vendor does LU 6.1.  On the other hand, LU 6.2 (also known as APPC) is pretty common, and available in most gateways, including HIS.

The best place to look for information is the Micro Focus product documentation. Many Micro Focus products use Microsoft Host Integration Server. So the Micro Focus docs often provide instructions and examples on how to set up HIS. Most of the Micro Focus docs are available online at their website:

http://supportline.microfocus.com/productdoc.aspx

The details on using HIS with Server Enterprise Edition is here:

http://supportline.microfocus.com/documentation/books/Server_EE_60_for_Windows/espubb.htm

Hope this helps,

Andrew

--

amclar at optusnet dot com dot au

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for a quick reply .Yes, I will be using Micro Focus Server Enterprise Edition. Can you point me to the documentation to do same from microsoft HIS side.It would be great help.

Thanks and Regrads

Jagdish Chawla

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:23 AM
  • Yeah, it's under the URL I already gave you :-)   Go to:

http://supportline.microfocus.com/documentation/books/Server_EE_60_for_Windows/espubb.htm

then look under the "Contents" frame, for:  Mainframe Subsystem Support > Configuration and Administration Guide > 9. CICS Communications Using Microsoft Host Integration Server.  It's all there: step-by-step, with examples and stuff.

You can also use the "Search" field on that page to search for "host integration", to find extra references to HIS scattered through the Micro Focus Server manuals.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Oh, just an after-thought - you only need HIS if you want to use SNA to communicate with the mainframe CICS. If you want to use TCP/IP, you can just make a direct TCP/IP connection from your Windows box to the host; HIS is not required.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:14 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks a lot for help. I dont have much expertise in this. I am not sure about the above reply.

Can you put some light on to what are the possible ways by which i can connect mainframes with a Windows based Microfocus environment. I want to have Instersystem communication where a CICS module will be reading VSAM file on Microfocus Platform.

It will also fine if you will share pointers for that.

Thanks and Regards

Jagdish Chawla

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Hi Jagdish

I don't think I can give you the help you are seeking. Your request is well beyond the scope of configuring and using Microsoft HIS. It's more like, "how do I design a distributed CICS application to read VSAM files on one system, and return the data to my CICS application on another system?". That's a big question. There are many possible solutions; and a forum discussion is not the best way to consider them all.

You'd probably want to work closely with a more experienced colleague and/or mentor in your own workplace, to get a solid grounding in the various technologies.

A CICS application can read a VSAM file by using an EXEC CICS READ DATASET command. It is difficult to access a VSAM file directly across the network from another system, so you'd likely want a CICS app reading the VSAM file locally, on the same system as the file. If the VSAM file is on the Micro Focus server, create and run a CICS app there - on Micro Focus Server - to read the file. Then pass the data back to the mainframe CICS application, using some form of CICS-to-CICS communication. Other solutions are also possible.  

HIS is just the network gateway between the two systems, if they communicate using SNA. As I mentioned, you could perform the same operation over TCP/IP, and HIS would not be needed at all.

Hope it helps

Andrew

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks a lot for info and mentoring. I am working in a project where no when is their who can help in this. I have to do this, I am replying you after little bit of reserach on SNA, HIS, APPC, LU6.2. I am now able to understand what you have said in above replies.

The syetm is like I have two mainframes both physically different.

Existing System:

Mainframes1 fires a Transcation and by using transcation routing this PPT entry is find it is remote PPT and goes to Mainframes 2 and Their its finds  it is attached to a PGM1 , which reads a file and send backs the data to mainframe1.

This is current scenario, it is working fine,

Current :

We are porting this VSAM file which is being read by PGM1 in Mainframes2 to Microfocus Environment, Here we want is that When a user fire transcation on mainframe 1 it shoul be able to read it self.

Solution 1:

Mainframes 1 fires the transcation and its PPT entry see that this remote transcation and it goes to Mainframes 2 where it see it PPT entry and see this is also a remote transcation and goes to Microfocus CICS region and see it is associated with PGM1 and its assoacited VSAM file , Read the data and send the data back to mainframe1.

Previously to HIS we have thought of product from microfocus (MFA 3.1) but the issue is that we can not make cconfiguration changes to that . So we have to think about HIS which we will be install on Windows platfrom .

PS: I am thank full to you for all replies till now , and i will not mind at all if you reply this .

I know i would be sounding novice when i am writting this. But i dont have choice , I want to share my Visio with you , but not sure how to do that .

i have shared the Visio on your Linked in

Sunday, December 19, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Hi Jagdish,

I have replied to your email.

Regards

Andrew

• Marked as answer by Cheeta LM Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Cheeta LM Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cheeta LM Monday, December 27, 2010 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Thanks a lot Andrew!!