how do uninstall internet Explorer and reinstall it RRS feed

• Question

• how do uninstall internet Explorer and reinstall it?
    Friday, December 12, 2014 9:28 PM

Answers

• as far as i know - you are not able to uninstall IE because it's part of the Windows OS

but you can reset your internet settings : Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset...

hope this help

----

i just found a related post ... it looks like that it IS possible to reinstall IE

To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Note
    After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

---

I just had a look in my config. I can Enable/Disable IE in Control Panel\Programs\Turn Windows fatures on or off

---

I've never tried this before - but it's seems to allow you uninstalling IE and then "re-enable" IE

• Edited by Andy_SWISS Friday, December 12, 2014 10:46 PM Update2
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:13 AM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

assuming that you want to re-install your current version because you are having problems with it...

you can reset your current IE version to its 'factory' defaults to try to fix any problems.

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, click "Reset".

Close and restart IE for the full changes to take affect.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Include with your question your current anti-virus product name and whether it is a trial or paid for version.

To help the support engineers at answers also include links to any websites that you are having problems with your questions.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:18 AM
  •  can Enable/Disable IE in Control Panel\Programs\Turn Windows fatures on or off

If only that was used as an opportunity to repair IE.  The last time I tested (IE10) it still didn't.

However, there are some interesting switches for  ie4uinit.exe  that I wish someone would tell us about.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/askie/archive/2012/09/13/things-to-do-when-troubleshooting-internet-explorer-terminal-server-and-profiles.aspx

(BING is not cooperating with me.  Somewhere I have posted an extraction of all the possible switches (albeit in their doublebyte representation) along with the above link.  I have posted the above link in various threads where lack of an IE repair tool is bemoaned.)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Found it:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/unable-to-advance-calendar-on-airline-booking-site/622bd26d-250a-468c-91bd-049d5dbc66f7?page=2&msgId=527cb1c9-76db-4200-82b4-124d7e1e75e0 

(BING search for
        askie ie4uinit notepad  aldwinckle site:microsoft.com
    )

Sunday, December 14, 2014 4:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• as far as i know - you are not able to uninstall IE because it's part of the Windows OS

but you can reset your internet settings : Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset...

hope this help

----

i just found a related post ... it looks like that it IS possible to reinstall IE

To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Note
    After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

---

I just had a look in my config. I can Enable/Disable IE in Control Panel\Programs\Turn Windows fatures on or off

---

I've never tried this before - but it's seems to allow you uninstalling IE and then "re-enable" IE

• Edited by Andy_SWISS Friday, December 12, 2014 10:46 PM Update2
    Friday, December 12, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

assuming that you want to re-install your current version because you are having problems with it...

you can reset your current IE version to its 'factory' defaults to try to fix any problems.

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, click "Reset".

Close and restart IE for the full changes to take affect.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Include with your question your current anti-virus product name and whether it is a trial or paid for version.

To help the support engineers at answers also include links to any websites that you are having problems with your questions.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:18 AM
  •  can Enable/Disable IE in Control Panel\Programs\Turn Windows fatures on or off

If only that was used as an opportunity to repair IE.  The last time I tested (IE10) it still didn't.

However, there are some interesting switches for  ie4uinit.exe  that I wish someone would tell us about.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/askie/archive/2012/09/13/things-to-do-when-troubleshooting-internet-explorer-terminal-server-and-profiles.aspx

(BING is not cooperating with me.  Somewhere I have posted an extraction of all the possible switches (albeit in their doublebyte representation) along with the above link.  I have posted the above link in various threads where lack of an IE repair tool is bemoaned.)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Found it:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/unable-to-advance-calendar-on-airline-booking-site/622bd26d-250a-468c-91bd-049d5dbc66f7?page=2&msgId=527cb1c9-76db-4200-82b4-124d7e1e75e0 

(BING search for
        askie ie4uinit notepad  aldwinckle site:microsoft.com
    )

Sunday, December 14, 2014 4:26 PM
    Answerer