none
E-mail to internal distribution group with external recipients is not being delivered

Question

• Hello,

I have a recurring issue that has come up again today.  We use a ticketing system to track change requests and send out Email notifications when certain changes are being implemented.  Today, a user initiated the change request notification which sent an email to 3 internal addresses, 2 were distribution groups, 1 was a BCC to the user mailbox that was generating the change request.  The mail went to the user in the BCC and one of the distribution groups, the other distribution group, containing members made up of external email addresses gathered from contacts in Active Directory was not delivered for some reason.

I had the user that generated the change request to take the email generated by the ticketing system and send it to the distribution group in question, manually, from Outlook and it was delivered to the group and all of the external contacts included within, making it appear that the issue is between the ticketing system and exchange.  However, this ticketing system is used heavily and is constantly sending internal as well as external emails and it would be a major issue if this problem was affecting a larger number of external contacts and/or distribution groups, which it does not appear to be.  Specific to this one distribution group.

using the Get-MessageTrackingLog cmdlet I was able to get the Message ID of the message in question but I'm not 100% sure of all the output.  This is the output I receive:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MessageTrackingLog -MessageId c9ecad8c1f124e3296d58f0afc86b509@EXCH3.domain.org |fl

RunspaceId              : 19f36c1f-b968-4b1a-b45d-9d2fab495293
    Timestamp               : 3/20/2018 8:57:18 AM
    ClientIp                :
    ClientHostname          : exch2.domain.org
    ServerIp                :
    ServerHostname          : EXCH1
    SourceContext           :
    ConnectorId             :
    Source                  : SMTP
    EventId                 : HARECEIVE
    InternalMessageId       : 14495514624357
    MessageId               : <c9ecad8c1f124e3296d58f0afc86b509@EXCH3.domain.org>
    Recipients              : {helpdesk@domain.org, user@domain.org, DISTRIBUTION_GROUP_WITH_PROBLEM@domain.org}
    RecipientStatus         : {}
    TotalBytes              : 4982
    RecipientCount          : 3
    RelatedRecipientAddress :
    Reference               :
    MessageSubject          :  Maintenance Notification
    Sender                  : helpdesk@domain.org
    ReturnPath              : helpdesk@domain.org
    Directionality          : Incoming
    TenantId                :
    OriginalClientIp        :
    MessageInfo             :
    MessageLatency          :
    MessageLatencyType      : None
    EventData               : {[DeliveryPriority, None], [PrioritizationReason, ShadowRedundancy], [AccountForest,
                              domain.org]}

Timestamp               : 3/20/2018 8:58:35 AM
    ClientHostname          :
    SourceContext           : ExplicitlyDiscarded
    Source                  : SMTP
    EventId                 : HADISCARD
    InternalMessageId       : 14495514624357
    Recipients              : {helpdesk@domain.org, user@domain.org, DISTRIBUTION_GROUP_WITH_PROBLEM@domain.org}
    RecipientStatus         : {}
    TotalBytes              : 4982
    RecipientCount          : 3
    MessageSubject          :  Maintenance Notification
    MessageInfo             :
    MessageLatency          :
    MessageLatencyType      : None
    EventData               : {[DeliveryPriority, None], [PrioritizationReason, ShadowRedundancy], [AccountForest,
                              domain.org]}

Timestamp               : 3/20/2018 8:57:18 AM
    ClientHostname          : EXCH2.domain.org
    SourceContext           : 08D56363686ABBD3;2018-03-20T13:57:18.800Z;ClientSubmitTime:
    Source                  : STOREDRIVER
    EventId                 : DELIVER
    InternalMessageId       : 33062658244960
    Recipients              : {user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org,
                              user@domain.org}
    RecipientStatus         : {, , , , NOC Emails, }
    TotalBytes              : 8562
    RecipientCount          : 6
    MessageSubject          : Maintenance Notification
    MessageInfo             : 2018-03-20T13:57:18.411Z;SRV=EXCH3.domain.org:TOTAL-FE=0.061|SMRPI-FrontendProxyAgent=0.
                              006|SMRPI=0.006|SMR=0.009|SMS=0.046;SRV=EXCH2.domain.org:TOTAL-HUB=0.311|UTH=0.001|SMRDE
                              =0.002|SMRCL=0.097|SMRCR=0.126|SMRC=0.127|SMR=0.130|CRSL=0.046|CATRS-Transport Rule
                              Agent=0.002| CATRS-Index Routing Agent=0.016|CATRS=0.019|CBIF=0.007|CAT=0.081|QDM=0.093;SRV=EXCH1.domain.org:TOTAL-DEL=0.140|UTH=0.015|SMRDI=0.013|SMR=0.013|SDDCC=0.004|SDDR=0.003|S
                              DDPM-Conversations Processing Agent=0.001|SDDPM-Mailbox Rules
                              Agent=0.010|SDDPM=0.012|SDDR=0.012|SDDPM-Mailbox Rules
                              Agent=0.004|SDDPM=0.006|SDDR=0.008|SDDPM-Mailbox Rules
                              Agent=0.002|SDDPM=0.003|SDDR=0.006|SDDPM-Mailbox Rules
                              Agent=0.004|SDDPM=0.005|SDDR=0.008|SDDPM-Mailbox Rules
                              Agent=0.010|SDDPM=0.011|SDDR=0.007|SDDPM-Mailbox Rules
                              Agent=0.002|SDDPM=0.003|SDDR=0.008|SDDS=0.018|SDD=0.116
    MessageLatency          : 00:00:00.5140000
    MessageLatencyType      : EndToEnd
    EventData               : {[MailboxDatabaseName, Ex2013 DB1], [Mailboxes, bfd0dcec-429d-460e-878a-8c78d9c2fa2a;c19d92a0
                              -73a0-42bb-a847-941826f04ecc;d203d096-9421-47aa-b4ea-09c2a02cc1f7;5d4df7d8-9ea5-4fc7-a495-53f
                              03bf316e8;96f5fd4c-85e4-4b99-bd2a-32e0a07f1ea9;e405a0c8-dffb-4853-91e3-8ad057dfef69],
                              [ToEntity, Hosted], [E2ELatency, 0.514], [DeliveryPriority, Normal], [AccountForest,
                              domain.org]}

The event at 8:58:35am has a source context of 'ExplicitlyDiscarded' and then an eventID of 'HADISCARD" - This event also contains the recipient which is the distribution group that the email is not being delivered to.  From my research, the HADISCARD event is normal and is just Shadow Redundancy purging the message after it has been delievered, is that right?

The next output shows similar information but with a source of 'ROUTING' and 'FAIL' as the event ID where the distribution group is the sole recipient.

Timestamp      : 3/20/2018 8:57:18 AM
    ServerHostname : EXCH2
    ClientHostname :
    Source         : SMTP
    EventId        : HAREDIRECT
    Recipients     : {helpdesk@domain.org, tburr@domain.org, DISTRIBUTION_GROUP_WITH_PROBLEM@domain.org}

ClientHostname : EXCH3.domain.org
    EventId        : RECEIVE
    Recipients     : {helpdesk@domain.org, user@domain.org, DISTRIBUTION_GROUP_WITH_PROBLEM@domain.org}

ServerHostname : EXCH1
    ClientHostname : exch2.domain.org
    EventId        : HARECEIVE
    Recipients     : {helpdesk@domain.org, user@domain.org, DISTRIBUTION_GROUP_WITH_PROBLEM@domain.org}

ClientHostname :
    Source         : ROUTING
    EventId        : EXPAND
    Recipients     : {user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org,
                     user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org,
                     user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org, user@domain.org,
                     user@domain.org...}

ServerHostname :
    ClientHostname : EXCH2
    Source         : ROUTING
    EventId        : FAIL
    Recipients     : {DISTRIBUTION_GROUP_WITH_PROBLEM@domain.org}

Timestamp      : 3/20/2018 8:58:35 AM
    ServerHostname : EXCH1
    ClientHostname :
    EventId        : HADISCARD

I guess my question now is how to figure out what these different event ID's and sources are saying and what is causing this to happen.  It's a very strange issue I feel and I've been working on it pretty much all day today and this is as far as I've been able to get in diagnosing what is happening here.  Thanks in advance.

I'm not even supposed to be here today.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for contacting our forum. So from your description, it cannot be verify if the DG in BCC or in TO will be affected.

Given the error message “SourceContext : ExplicitlyDiscarded” , as we know: HADISCARD: A shadow message was discarded after the primary copy was delivered to the next hop. So some messages have been dropped due to some reason.

It could be caused custom receive connectors (for your ticketing system) are limited to 20 messages from 1 source at a time.

Please increase that to 200 with:

Set-receiveconnector -identity nameofconnector -MaxInboundConnectionPerSource 200

Problem could be resolved.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for contacting our forum. So from your description, it cannot be verify if the DG in BCC or in TO will be affected.

Given the error message “SourceContext : ExplicitlyDiscarded” , as we know: HADISCARD: A shadow message was discarded after the primary copy was delivered to the next hop. So some messages have been dropped due to some reason.

It could be caused custom receive connectors (for your ticketing system) are limited to 20 messages from 1 source at a time.

Please increase that to 200 with:

Set-receiveconnector -identity nameofconnector -MaxInboundConnectionPerSource 200

Problem could be resolved.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:44 AM
  • Jason, thank you for the reply, I am going to try and implement your suggestion today and will return with the results!

It seems that I would need to take the receive connector which handles our SMTP relay function and make your suggested changes there.  Is there a way that I can confirm exactly which receive connector a message used for transit?

I'm not even supposed to be here today.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:16 PM
  • Yes,we can check the SMTP log with the message ID that mentioned above in the message tracking log! Hope it helps.
    Friday, March 23, 2018 5:27 PM