none
Project Pro for Office 365 to Project Online Professional subscription transition RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

I am the sys admin for my company and have Office 365 Admin Center control. Our Project Pro for Office 365  subscription is up for its annual renewal. I noticed the message indicating that specific subscription plan  has been retired as of 8/15/16 and a new plan needs to be selected. I have completed the subscription renewal with our reseller switching to Project Online Professional as the FAQ document recommended and it will go active on 8/13. My question is, that I am not getting a clear answer from Microsoft support on, is do I have to actually download and install new software for my 4 users or is this just a "subscription" type change that will just continue the activation/licensing for the Project Pro for Office 365 versions they have currently installed with no further steps needed. The Microsoft sale support tech I spoke with yesterday on a  call with our CDW rep indicated that is the case and there is no new software that needs to be installed or old software uninstalled after he checked with his tech support team. However there seems to be conflicting info online regarding this. The info in the link below that explains the whole process regarding moving from the new to old plans does not mention anywhere that the existing software needs to be upgraded or replaced with new software but there are other docs online indicating otherwise.  Also if new software does need to be installed is it going to be a significant change to the software interface appearance and functionaility between Project Pro for Office 365 and Project Online Pro or does it basically look and function the same?Can someone clarify this for me?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Important-information-for-Project-Online-customers-about-plan-changes-496aafdd-9f62-4daf-8d2e-0e700925c6b2?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

One other item, I have never been able to see the Project Pro software download option anywhere in the admin center unless I reassign one of the 4 licenses to myself temporarily from another user. Shouldnt I have access through the Admin center to download any software our company has a subscription to with my level of access?

Thanks again

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For your first question, there is no software (MS Project Pro) upgrade to perform while transitioning the licensing model. MS Project Pro is now included in the Premium and Professional licenses of Project Online product. It will be transparent for your users.

As per your second question, I can't say since I've never administrated O365 neither mass deployed Project Pro from O365 admin center.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Great. Thanks for the response. Just wanted to make sure. 

To clarify my  second question. I just want to be able to see the Project Pro download option in the Office 365 admin center logged in as myself like the Office 365 install option. I have only ever been able to see the option become available  under the "other installs" screen on the main Office 365 page if I assign the license to my user name temporarily. As an admin it would seem there has to be somewhere in the Admin center where I can access that option

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:10 PM